Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Longs Peak Fee?

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Re: Longs Peak Fee?

Postby eaglerunner » Mon May 31, 2010 6:16 pm

While a fee and reservation could help reduce Long's traffic, it's unfair, I think, as you can' predict the weather 2 months in advance, and I wouldn't be suprised to see a list that long for Long's. Plus, charging for 14ers just seems wrong, it's nature for all to enjoy, but then again, the crowds on some mountains are absolutely ridiculous. I mean, Culebra's a steep price, but if the money went into 14er upkeep, I'd be fine paying a fee.
Colorado men are we,
From the peaks gigantic, from the great sierras and the high plateaus.
From the mine and from the gully, from the hunting trail we come,
Pioneers! O Pioneers!

Postby pbakwin » Mon May 31, 2010 7:21 pm

The quote by the Sierra Club guy doesn't make sense. The proposal is a fee to enter RMNP
at the Longs Peak TH, not to climb Long's Peak. The question is whether it makes sense
financially for the NPS to collect its fee at that entrance, as it does at the main entrances
out of Estes & Grand Lake. This proposal is obviously completely separate from the USFS
proposal to charge fees at other 14ers trail heads. A reservation system for Longs also
doesn't make sense, since crowding is only an issue on a few weekend days per year,
maybe 6-8 weekends. Fortunately, the NPS does not appear to be considering a
reservation system, such as the annoying system used on Whitney. Apparently
the proposal to convert the Longs Peak Campground to parking hasn't gained much
traction.

Postby Nelson » Mon May 31, 2010 7:34 pm

I climbed Longs today and camped last night in the Boulder Field. There was a $20 fee for camping there.

Is that common knowledge?

Postby Dex » Mon May 31, 2010 7:43 pm

Are the people collecting the fee Park Service Employees? If so, maybe they could outsource the cashier function and use the savings to lower the fee.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Doug Shaw » Mon May 31, 2010 8:20 pm

Dex wrote:Are the people collecting the fee Park Service Employees? If so, maybe they could outsource the cashier function and use the savings to lower the fee.

Your naiveté is a source of amusement to us all.

If they can save money by bringing in a concessionaire, that saved money is profit. Why would they pass that savings on to us? Have you missed the bit where everywhere you look lately they're proposing fees to get our money? Saving us money is nowhere on the radar.

Postby MountainHiker » Mon May 31, 2010 8:36 pm

Dex wrote:Are the people collecting the fee Park Service Employees? If so, maybe they could outsource the cashier function and use the savings to lower the fee.

Outsourcing doesn’t save money. It means above what the employee gets paid, the agency pays an additional amount to the company that has the contract. Either way the agency pays for all of the facilities and supplies the employee uses. The only advantage to the agency is it is easier to hire someone this way and it is without the commitment that comes with bringing on a career employee. Agencies like USFS, USGS and NPS have various ways to bring on temporary summer help without career status. Involving a contracting company is politically popular but not because it saves money. It doesn’t. It’s about who gets the money. Contracts are best used for specific projects like construction, or specific products like computers, where the private sector already has the expertise and market presence. But if you just want a someone manning a booth, a contract means an increased fee so the contractor company can get their cut.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby MountainHiker » Mon May 31, 2010 8:49 pm

g wrote:outsourcing = cheaper labor. Like with the concessionaires in Grand Canyon -- those employees get paid far less, and have crappier benefits.

There is some truth to that. However temporary summer government employees are also a lower caste than career employees, so are also not paid much and lack benefits.

Thing is by the time the contracting company gets its cut, the government could have paid someone better. So it comes down to who to you begrudge? The employee, or the company with the congressional lobbyists?
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert