Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fees for South Colony Basin

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Re: Fees for South Colony Basin

Postby Dan England » Sun May 23, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks for all the thoughtful comments on this everyone. It's nice to see that on such an emotional topic.

Postby Greenhouseguy » Sun May 30, 2010 7:06 pm

g wrote:Boulderite in favor of fees. :roll: Film at 11.

My wife and I took her shih tzu on the Bobolink Trail in Boulder today. If Boulderites think that 14ers are worth at least $20, then I'd estimate that the Bobolink Trail is worth about 25 cents. If you want to nick the taxpayer for everything, then nick them for EVERYTHING.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby JeffR » Sun May 30, 2010 10:01 pm

And, some ask, isn`t that discriminatory? Doesn`t that place an unfair burden on would-be climbers who are short of resources?

Let`s be honest: If you are planning to climb a fourteener, you`ve almost certainly got a vehicle that can haul it into the high country. You`re going to pay for gas, perhaps some camping gear, energy bars, gorp and plenty of beer afterward. Mountain climbing is a pretty thrifty sport, but it`s not free.

I absolutely adore this argument. "You can afford it. Therefore, logic follows that you should have to pay". Lib-onomics thought-process at its finest.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"

Postby bking14ers » Mon May 31, 2010 7:51 am

I for one don't mind paying fees to be able to enjoy something, but only if that fee money gets put back directly to the area I am visiting. I think the fees go into a pot, and then get divided up to the area they think may, or may not need it the most. So one area being collected for might not get enough of the money to do any good, so what's the point of the fee anyway? Anytime they collect fees for something, that money usually gets spent somewhere eles. (It's called basic politics). Those mountains would probly only see about 10% of the money collected, if that. And that's a shame. After 5 years of fee collecting all you will see is a run down, unmaintained, initialy overpaid for restroom, and a hole bunch of signs telling you what you can and can't do, and how much money it will cost you if you don't listen.

Postby schrund » Mon May 31, 2010 8:11 am

I didn't realize the history of this fee "phenomenon". Here's an 11 year dated tretise on the issue:

http://www.fs.fed.us/eco/eco-watch/feeornot99.html

I already miss the old days and driving that historic road~ :?
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby FCSquid » Mon May 31, 2010 11:18 am

g wrote:Boulderite in favor of fees. :roll: Film at 11.
I think charging a reasonable fee to climb any fourteener on public land is acceptable.

[...]

anyone who has stood on top of Elbert, Longs, Holy Cross, or the 51 other summits knows that the experience is worth an extra $10 or $20 bucks, especially when you`re helping the mountains themselves.

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_15184262

Thanks for those 2 minutes of my life I'll never have back, g. I got this far:
"I don`t mind paying taxes, though I strenuously object to our insanely ginormous military. That budget is just an ammo clip shy of equaling that of all other nations` combined; it is nine times larger than that of China, the next country in line; and after our beloved entitlements, it`s the largest single item in the U.S. budget. I abhor our persistent, expensive attempts to make alien nations bend to our will through force.", and found myself drooling on the keyboard with an expressionless stare. Then I realized that I wouldn't be able to muddle through the remainder of the article ...
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

Previous