Day hike suggestion

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
WhoDang
14ers: 12  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Day hike suggestion

Post by WhoDang »

Hello 14ers!

I recently moved from Florida to Denver with my girlfriend. I would like to take my girlfriend on an awesome day hike somewhere within a two hour driving distance from Denver. She has very little high elevation hiking experience. So I'm looking for something that can get her use to elevation in preparation to doing some 14ers this summer but without turning her off of the idea. :) I had some hike maybe to a waterfall or lake with a possible peak climb in mind but I am certainly up for any other recommendations.

P.S. I'm not sure if it matters this time of year but we don't have any snowshoes.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Nathan
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Re: Day hike suggestion

Post by Floyd »

Probably not a good idea until mid-June but if you want waterfalls check out Cascade Creek. It's the approach for Lone Eagle Peak: http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -peak.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Also, check out Hiking Grand County by Deborah Carr and Lou Ladrigan. It's a must-have IMO and what got me into hiking after we moved into town.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
Fred North
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fred North »

There are a ton of great non 14er hikes in RMNP. Checkout a recent thread on Non 14er hikes.
Exactly...these go to 11 -- Nigel Tufnel
WhoDang
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WhoDang »

Thanks Floyd! I have plenty of time on my hands so I'll be sure to check that one out in mid-June. I was actually just thinking I should go pick up some books. Well a waterfall was just an idea, I'm up to really anything. Any suggestions on something I could do - say this week? (May 24-28)

Thanks,

Nathan
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

If you have the time, I strongly recommend the Cascade Creek hike. I'm not sure if it's my favorite day-hike in the state, but it's definitely in the running. If you want to stay away from the snow/ice and close to home, Boulder has some excellent lower elevation peaks that are very easily excessible. South Boulder, Bear, Green Mountain are all good workouts for a quick jaunt and I would imagine dry already. If you have snowshoes or don't mind slushing around, then obviously the opportunities are endless.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

What about Apache Falls in the Sangre de Cristo?

I don't have any beta on the hike, but I've heard good things.
WhoDang
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WhoDang »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll be sure to check them out. I found this from another post http://www.gorp.com/parks-guide/travel- ... 69145.html. What do you think?
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Beaver Creek WSA can be some tough hiking. Dropping in from the Skagway end puts you in some tough terrain pretty quick. It's a fun hike with great scenery and the old power station is cool, but certainly not an easy trail to follow. There are several places where you'll have to cross the creek and when the water's high this can be a treacherous task. Teller County and Fremont County SAR frequently rescue people from that canyon who've gotten themselves in over their heads.

The basic loop from the Fremont County (south) end is a much more maintained hiking trail. Great for day hikes. However I don't think that trailhead is within 2 hours of driving from Denver.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
letourneau41
14ers: 50  2 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by letourneau41 »

Chataqua just outside of boulder is a great day hike. You can hike the flatirons and it's realatively easy and great to get a little experience hiking peaks.
Every man Dies, but not every man truly lives.
ColoradoEd
14ers: 55 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoEd »

Mountain Lion Loop at Golden Gate State Park. Not too much elevation gain and great views from the top of Windy Peak.
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

With all the input you'll get here, I think you'll have enough options to keep you quite busy! :D

But I'll put a plug in for one: The trails from the Fourth of July trailhead (near Nederland) provide good dayhiking opportunities. You can see the Fourth of July mine, pass over some cascades (wear waterproof boots just in case), the wildflowers are awesome around late June to mid-July, and you have the option of getting to S. Arapahoe Peak (and possibly traversing to N. Arapahoe if you're feeling frisky, but it sounds like you might not want that adventure just yet). The road to the trailhead may not be clear for a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, the Boulder mountains (Green Mtn, S. Boulder Peak, and Bear Peak) are good, too, and close. At this time of year, I like hiking up the Bear Canyon trail (start at NCAR).

Have fun and be safe!

EDIT: here's a link to a description of one of the possibilities: http://www.aroundcolorado.com/trip_repo ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." - Oscar Wilde
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
mtngoat
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtngoat »

Pretty much anything in the Indian Peaks is an awesome hike. Blue Lake, Pawnee Pass, Lone Eagle, Sourdough Trail, 4th of July, Hessie, Arapaho Pass, etc.

Summit County has some wonderful stuff as well but you would be looking at mid-late June for most of those. Salmon Lakes, McCullough Gulch, Crystal Lakes, Mohawk Lakes, Ptarmigan, a few others on the north end of the county as well.

Beautiful wildflowers and some really good waterfalls and cascading creeks on many of them. Buy some sky terrain and Latitude 40 maps and go nuts.

-Dave
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.