Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

South Colony Fees

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Re: South Colony Fees

Postby dubsho3000 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:56 pm

g wrote:
Greenhouseguy wrote:Longs has the high altitude outhouses in the Boulder Field. If you build it, they will come.

You mean, "If you build it, they will go."


Suppose it depends on what they are doing...

Re: South Colony Fees

Postby Bean » Thu May 13, 2010 2:57 pm

BIO_KNEE wrote:
Bean wrote:The only 14er climb I've ever spent $107 was on Culebra, and yes that's counting food, gas, consumable and/or lost gear, etc.



I wish I got that gas mileage! :cussing:

I suppose I could have worded things more clearly...

Culebra's the only one I spent >= $107 on, by a long shot.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

User avatar
Posts: 1034
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:49 pm
Location: Denver

Re: South Colony Fees

Postby zacob » Thu May 13, 2010 2:58 pm

Bean wrote:The only 14er climb I've ever spent $107 was on Culebra, and yes that's counting food, gas, consumable and/or lost gear, etc.


You forgot Rainier but i guess that dosen't count since we didn't get past the ranger station :evil:

but I agree those numbers seem alot off. would be interesting to see how they came up with them. a typical trip to a non front range 14er for me is around 50 and that is mainly gas. Food is a variable expense as you are going to be eating even if you are at home.

Re: South Colony Fees

Postby dubsho3000 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:01 pm

The Grand Canyon was saved by regulation.

Is that enough, or should I continue?

User avatar
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Englewood

Re: South Colony Fees

Postby BIO_KNEE » Thu May 13, 2010 3:02 pm

Bean wrote:
BIO_KNEE wrote:
Bean wrote:The only 14er climb I've ever spent $107 was on Culebra, and yes that's counting food, gas, consumable and/or lost gear, etc.



I wish I got that gas mileage! :cussing:

I suppose I could have worded things more clearly...

Culebra's the only one I spent >= $107 on, by a long shot.


Still your Subi has to do better then my Silverado.

I agree though, I never spent more then maybe $75 on a 14er hike!

Re: South Colony Fees

Postby dubsho3000 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:03 pm

zacob wrote:
Bean wrote:The only 14er climb I've ever spent $107 was on Culebra, and yes that's counting food, gas, consumable and/or lost gear, etc.


You forgot Rainier but i guess that dosen't count since we didn't get past the ranger station :evil:

but I agree those numbers seem alot off. would be interesting to see how they came up with them. a typical trip to a non front range 14er for me is around 50 and that is mainly gas. Food is a variable expense as you are going to be eating even if you are at home.


I think that would make it a fixed expense. Your point is valid, I'm just a grouch.

User avatar
Posts: 1034
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:49 pm
Location: Denver

Re: South Colony Fees

Postby zacob » Thu May 13, 2010 3:16 pm

dubsho3000 wrote:
zacob wrote:
...but I agree those numbers seem alot off. would be interesting to see how they came up with them. a typical trip to a non front range 14er for me is around 50 and that is mainly gas. Food is a variable expense as you are going to be eating even if you are at home.


I think that would make it a fixed expense. Your point is valid, I'm just a grouch.


I still think it would be a bit variable as you are going to consume more food on the trail than you will at home, but then again you might dirnk more beer while at home thus making it cheaper to be in the mountains... so lets settle on a variable fixed cost...

Re: South Colony Fees

Postby dubsho3000 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:19 pm

zacob wrote:
dubsho3000 wrote:
zacob wrote:
...but I agree those numbers seem alot off. would be interesting to see how they came up with them. a typical trip to a non front range 14er for me is around 50 and that is mainly gas. Food is a variable expense as you are going to be eating even if you are at home.


I think that would make it a fixed expense. Your point is valid, I'm just a grouch.


I still think it would be a bit variable as you are going to consume more food on the trail than you will at home, but then again you might dirnk more beer while at home thus making it cheaper to be in the mountains... so lets settle on a variable fixed cost...


Deal

User avatar
Posts: 1034
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:49 pm
Location: Denver

Re: South Colony Fees

Postby zacob » Thu May 13, 2010 3:25 pm

dubsho3000 wrote:The Grand Canyon was saved by regulation.

Is that enough, or should I continue?


Chances are we won't make a deal on this one.... :(

Was it? If the park had never built all the up close and personal experience would it have needed regulation?

More to the point do you really believe that had it not been for regulation that the Grand Canyon would have disappeared, or been filled in by trash?

It was there long before regulation and it will be there long after the USA is just a footnote in history.

nature has an amazing capability to reclaim from man. Even when we totally destroy something for example with strip mining nature always seems to reclaim the land after we have moved on.

Just think of how much time you spend each year pulling weeds from your lawn or pulling the weeds out of the cracks in your drive way.

Mother Nature doesn’t need well intentioned poorly executed bureaucratic red tape.

User avatar
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:16 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: South Colony Fees

Postby Oman » Thu May 13, 2010 4:28 pm

zacob wrote:
Chances are we won't make a deal on this one.... :(


Why the pessimism? Maybe there's one thing we can agree on:

At the top of the old South Colony 4wd parking, let's give s**t Rock a new name -- Libertarian Rock.

Re: South Colony Fees

Postby Bean » Thu May 13, 2010 4:36 pm

dubsho3000 wrote:The Grand Canyon was saved by regulation.

Is that enough, or should I continue?

The Grand Canyon was nearly monopolized by a man who tried to use government intervention to take over.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

User avatar
Posts: 1276
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:34 pm
Location: Fort Collins

Re: South Colony Fees

Postby JB99 » Thu May 13, 2010 5:35 pm

Oman wrote:Why the pessimism? Maybe there's one thing we can agree on:

At the top of the old South Colony 4wd parking, let's give s**t Rock a new name -- Libertarian Rock.


Comical.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests