Long flat ridge runs?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Long flat ridge runs?

Post by madbuck »

Howdy,

A bit of an unusual request: I'm looking for suggestions on long, flat, above-treeline ridges and flat-top mountains to run this summer, or a string of lesser peaks with low prominence. That is, high enough to get a good running rhythm, but relatively flat after the initial ascent/descent. Think of those approaches you hate because they're flat and boring, and just keep you exposed to the weather -- that's what I'm looking for! E.g., I have my eye on the ridge behind Zimmerman Lake near Cameron Pass (seen it referred to "Table Iron Mountain), and other spots near Cameron Pass by the Diamonds (rolling and runnable, not rocky)....obviously Flattop in RMNP, but looking for longer, secluded runs. And, above treeline/alpine, not so much desert mesa type stuff.

Thanks for any suggestions!
weschun
14ers: 38  12 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Long flat ridge runs?

Post by weschun »

Hoosier Ridge?
Attachments
24410_1392107719693_1142149719_31204265_6522195_n.jpg
24410_1392107719693_1142149719_31204265_6522195_n.jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Exactly, thanks! There's one summer Saturday accounted for...looking for more...
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

there are incredilbly long stretches of the CDT in the weminuche wilderness that do what you're talking about...
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The Kenosha Range, south of Kenosha Pass in the Lost Creek Wilderness, has a long ridge with several low peaks (Kenosha, X-Prime, X, Y, Z, and Zephyr in Roach's LCW book). The whole thing is about seven miles long and stays in about a 300-foot elevation range. You could start at the Ben Tyler TH, follow that trail a few miles up to the ridge, traverse the ridge to Zephyr, then descend to the Colorado Trail and follow it back to near the start to make a huge loop (15-20 miles?).

Here's the area I'm talking about. On the northwest end, you could even extend it to include the Twin Cones, making a very long ridge run indeed.
KenoshaRange.jpg
KenoshaRange.jpg (42.31 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
Last edited by Jim Davies on Tue May 04, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Vermont Mike
14ers: 36 
13ers: 32 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vermont Mike »

Greenhorn Mountain down in the Wet Mountains and its several sub-summits may fit the bill. Some ups and downs once you're on the ridge though. Secluded and the standard trailhead is pretty much at treeline.
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

weschun wrote:Hoosier Ridge?
Is this a recent pic, perchance?
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
Layne Bracy
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 179 9
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Layne Bracy »

Two ideas:

From Berthoud Pass, hike west up to Pt 12391. There's a gentle ridge north to the Twin Cones and south to Stanley Mtn.

The Flat Tops near Yampa. You could run up to Mandall Pass and enjoy the long ridge east to Orno Peak or west and south around 12008 and to the Devils Causeway area. You might be able to find something pretty long here.
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

There is a fairly long and somewhat level horse-shoe ridge on either side of Columbia. I remember that one being a real lung buster coming from the flatlands - I think about 3 miles above 13k.
Roll No Rocks
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The Flat Tops near Yampa.
+1.

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/18 ... -tops.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you get on top, it's pretty flat in most areas up there. The apline meadows go for miles.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Thanks all! A month, at least, to stare at maps, and then some great possibilities this summer. Thanks!
weschun
14ers: 38  12 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by weschun »

JeffR wrote:
weschun wrote:Hoosier Ridge?
Is this a recent pic, perchance?
The picture was taken by Eatinhardtack on 3/13
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.