Lumpy Ridge conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BaronVonBergschrund
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Lumpy Ridge conditions?

Post by BaronVonBergschrund »

mtn114 wrote:What's so bad about White Whale?
It is an atypical route for the Lumpy area and climbs more like a Flatiron - slabby and uninspiring. It might also be wet tomorrow as it ascends around and in a water groove. Something less shaded and more south facing would be a better option, Melvin's Wheel would be nice, Osirus or Pear Buttress are both very good and around the same grade as White Whale.
Baron Von Bergschrund
Remember, remember, the third of December.
Sharing wisdom on Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer, Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners
BaronVonBergschrund
Trip Reports (0)

atalarico wrote:Yes, why are all of these people wrong http://mountainproject.com/scripts/Show ... =105750013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you did not get butthurt so easily I would have told you in the first place. Besides, everyone knows all the people on MountainProject are pretentious wankers who sit online all day long spraying about their latest "send" and arguing if the climb is 5.7+ or 5.7 PG13.
atalarico wrote:Let's thread jack this some more.
Thread jack? You were asking for help and I was trying to give you some. You seem to be incapable of saying "thank you".
Baron Von Bergschrund
Sharing wisdom on Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer, Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

atalarico wrote:Hey all,

Looking to climb White Whale tomorrow at Lumpy Ridge, outside Estes Park.

Anyone know what the approach trails look like?

I know RMNP got hammered with over 30" of snow in the last storm, so I'm writing this hoping to avoid a post-holing expedition approach.

Cheers!
How on Earth have you answered the only question I asked?!

I didn't ask if White Whale is worth climbing, or how to Google for Estes Park webcams, which seems to be the only information you've provided thus far.

Seems pretty trollish to me.
BaronVonBergschrund
Trip Reports (0)

atalarico wrote:How on Earth have you answered the only question I asked?!
I will try to use small words since reading comprehension and logic do not seem to be working here.

Lumpy Ridge is a crag that is only a few hundred feet in elevation above Estes Park
THEREFORE
The weather and snow coverage IN Estes Park will be similar to the south-facing hillside of Lumpy Ridge.
cam.jpg
cam.jpg (94.04 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
This image from McGregor Mountain Lodge (at the bottom of Lumpy Ridge, found via Google Search) shows no snow
THEREFORE
You need not bring your snowshoes with you.
Baron Von Bergschrund
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

I was in RMNP today, although not at Lumpy Ridge. I was in the Park Headquarters area, and also near the Wild Basin
entrance. The lower elevations didn't get anywhere near 30". I doubt that you would be post-holing on the approach
trail to The Book, but it may not be dry either. Also, it was cloudy quite a bit of the day, and it was starting to storm
in the Mummies when I left, so the rock may not have dried out very much today.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

Awesome! Thanks for the info.
BaronVonBergschrund
Trip Reports (0)

atalarico wrote:Awesome! Thanks for the info.
You are welcome.
Baron Von Bergschrund
perryw
14ers: 7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by perryw »

I just love a happy ending.
Did you know that the word gullible is NOT in the dictionary?
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Hiked the two miles from the Lumpy parking lot to Gem Lake yesterday. There was very little snow on the trail. Ankle deep snow surrounded Gem Lake. We encountered some deeper snow in shaded aspects while playing around on the rocks, but for the most part, the Gemstones were dry.
MikeyC
14ers: 26 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MikeyC »

This was a very entertaining read! Thankyou!
SpringsHiker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SpringsHiker »

perryw wrote:I just love a happy ending.
Agreed! Not JUST a happy ending but exceptionally entertaining!

atalarico, while the form may not have been quite to your liking, the content was there; Baron is quick to find the bottom line and quicker to tweak ya if you miss it.

Baron, while the butthurt-form was hilarious, I find fault in two ways: sneaking it in there like that (tsk, tsk) and worse, providing no real warning for us corporate grunts whose out-loud laughter is offensive to our less humored cubicle-mates. However, I am able to generously note that no apology is needed in this case.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"