Lumpy Ridge conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Lumpy Ridge conditions?

Post by atalarico »

Hey all,

Looking to climb White Whale tomorrow at Lumpy Ridge, outside Estes Park.

Anyone know what the approach trails look like?

I know RMNP got hammered with over 30" of snow in the last storm, so I'm writing this hoping to avoid a post-holing expedition approach.

Cheers!
BaronVonBergschrund
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Lumpy Ridge conditions?

Post by BaronVonBergschrund »

atalarico wrote:Looking to climb White Whale tomorrow at Lumpy Ridge, outside Estes Park.
Do not bother, White Whale is a POS route anyway.
Baron Von Bergschrund
Remember, remember, the third of December.
Sharing wisdom on Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer, Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

Well, if one were to go to Lumpy Ridge, does anyone have any real information on whether or not the snow is still deep on the approach trails?
BaronVonBergschrund
Trip Reports (0)

Baron Von Bergschrund
Sharing wisdom on Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer, Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

You really are an ass, you know that, right?
BaronVonBergschrund
Trip Reports (0)

atalarico wrote:You really are an ass, you know that, right?
My link did not answer your question? I thought I was being helpful.
Baron Von Bergschrund
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

No, it didn't, and no you weren't being helpful. Your first post was totally off-topic and you were just trolling for a negative response.

How are far-away, grainy, still-images of random spots in Estes Park supposed to convey a first-hand account of trail conditions?

I know how to use Google. I also know it's limitations. One such limitation is that the likelihood that Google was just out in Estes Park in the past few days hiking around is slim. Therefore, Google is unable to provide me with an adequate conditions report. First-hand conditions reports make the forum here quite useful, and those that contribute them are far better community members than those who just make off-hand trollish remarks.

Now, unless you've been to Estes in the past few days and can provide positive remarks, piss off.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Fish & Game routinely closes Lumpy for protection for the raptors that roost there.
I don't know when the close goes in to effect. That's something you'll have to research on your own.
For all I know, it may even be closed now. I'm sure someone from this site may know? Baron?
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

Yes, I have read the raptor closure info for 2010 here http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/area_closures.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Anyway, does anyone know about the snow depths in tree-line?
BaronVonBergschrund
Trip Reports (0)

Kiefer wrote:Fish & Game routinely closes Lumpy for protection for the raptors that roost there.
I don't know when the close goes in to effect. That's something you'll have to research on your own.
For all I know, it may even be closed now. I'm sure someone from this site may know? Baron?
The Book and surrounding areas are never closed for raptor nesting.
atalarico wrote:Now, unless you've been to Estes in the past few days and can provide positive remarks, piss off.
Actually, I did find a good first-hand report of conditions in Lumpy from yesterday: http://tinyurl.com/28b8wr8
Baron Von Bergschrund
mtn114
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn114 »

What's so bad about White Whale?
I see no reason
why our dear Baron's wisdom
should ever be forgot.
Continuing to spread his wisdom on:
Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer (nice try), Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

Yes, why are all of these people wrong http://mountainproject.com/scripts/Show ... =105750013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let's thread jack this some more. =D>