Northwast Colorado Mountain Hiking

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
perryw
14ers: 7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Northwast Colorado Mountain Hiking

Post by perryw »

My wife & I are planning our next month long road trip from NH to the Rocky Mountains and were looking for some hiking info. We have climbed a few of the 14ers on our last trip out two years ago (Bierstadt, Sun Dog (13er), Sunshine, Redcloud and Elbert) and were looking for some similar mountain hikes with the following characteristics:

1) Not necessarily a 14er or 13er, but a good all day hike similar in length and difficulty the our other Colorado hikes. Maybe in the 3,000-4,000 vertical foot range. Some class 3 is okay but nothing harder.

2) Looking for mountains in Northwestern Colorado north of I-70, but NOT in Rocky Mountain National Park. Maybe in Steamboat area?

3) Trailhead must be accessible by 2 wheel drive vehicles around the last week of June. I would also prefer that we would not have to hike alongside 4 wheel drive vehicles that have access to a higher parking area (or ATV traffic)

Thanks in advance.
Did you know that the word gullible is NOT in the dictionary?
prestone818
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Northwast Colorado Mountain Hiking

Post by prestone818 »

ill just wait for someone else to mention it...

im not too familiar with hiking areas around steamboat. i am sure rabbit ears pass would be a good place to hike around
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

perryw wrote:2) Looking for mountains in Northwestern Colorado north of I-70, but NOT in Rocky Mountain National Park. Maybe in Steamboat area?
Hahn's Peak is north of Steamboat in the Mt. Zirkel Wilderness Area. That's a nice hike. There's a 4WD road that can get you up pretty high, but if you park down near the town of Columbine, it will be about 3 miles longer. Nice views of Steamboat Lake from there.

http://photos.tlmathews.com/7-2-06/steamboatlake01.jpg

http://photos.tlmathews.com/7-2-06/hahnspeak01.jpg

http://photos.tlmathews.com/7-2-06/Hahn ... ano05a.jpg

You can also hike the Flat Tops, which are south of Steamboat. There are a LOT of great hikes in the Gore Range north of I-70 near Silverthorne, too.
YEONDERIN
14ers: 50 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (3)

Post by YEONDERIN »

The Rawah wilderness is between Steamboat and Fort Collins and extends to the Wyoming boarder from highway 14. This area has many 11 and 12ers, fishing, camping etc. very nice. Directly south of the Rawahs is the Never summer wilderness which sees less visitors due to less 2 wheel access but still has some very nice areas to be found. Feel free to PM me if you would like more details.
Life and death are only a breath away, no matter where you are...
Living is only a breath away in the high country !

Being lost is a state on mind not a location of the body...
if you always are where you want to be then you can never get lost.

NEVER GROW OLD.....YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT ! (John Wayne)
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

You have got to visit the Sawtooth Range north of Steamboat Springs. It's one of the most rugged mountain areas in Colorado, but not too many people go there.

Here are some photos from a traverse I made there:

http://www.summitpost.org/album/415829/ ... range.html

Also consider Mount Zirkel, Big Agnes and The Dome.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
perryw
14ers: 7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by perryw »

You have got to visit the Sawtooth Range north of Steamboat Springs. It's one of the most rugged mountain areas in Colorado, but not too many people go there
Wow Scott P., Google is amazing. When I just googled:
sawtooth range colorado
, your post here at 14ers.com came up at Number 6 on the list.

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like tons on great hiking in the area.
Did you know that the word gullible is NOT in the dictionary?