Dogs and 14ers

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Dogs and 14ers

Post by semitrueskerm »

I'm looking at getting a dog this summer. Was wondering what the restrictions/etiquette are regarding dogs on climbs/hikes in the mountains. Also, wondering which breeds make good hiking companion dogs? Which 14ers are possible to bring a dog along given the various terrain. Thanks for any suggestions! --semitrue
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Dogs and 14ers

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Check out this topic:
Dogs on 14ers
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

There are lots of threads on this topic. My only real advice is to leave the dog at home (actully mine is tent/ camp trained) on any 14er w/rockfall potential. Deadly rocks are more likely to be kicked by another human than by your dog, but the community would view one as an accident and the other as negligence. additionally, you'd never forgive yousrelf.

That's not to say I haven't had my dog on some rockfall routes (see Cooper's Traverse report from July, 2009). in that case. I made an error in judgement. Once he was up there it was difficult to turn around. Again, he was climbing stronger and smarter than the humans, but there was too much potential for error.

ALL the 14ers have been climbed by dogs. People have even snuck their dogs up Long's (in violation of the law), but there is no badge. I take my dog on more difficult less popular routes and I try to do it mid-week.

Only a chance to climb with Susanjoypaul or SarahT (and now she's married) have ever held more allure than the opportunity to climb with my dogs (I've had three consecutive Aussies.)
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
cmhogan10
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cmhogan10 »

There are a lot of different opinoions about dogs on the trail. Here are a couple things to keep in mind. First, even though there are a lot of people out there who are dog lovers and are happy to see you getting them outside (where they love to be), there are some who do not like dogs near them. Consequently, you need to plan for the people who are not comfortable around dogs. For people to say, "leave your dog at home", is not the "catch all" answer. Especially, if you can control your dog.

The one thing that will make things better, is to TRAIN YOUR DOG and have people on the trail it. Just because people do not like dogs or are not comfortable around them, is not a reason why you shouldn't enjoy spending time with your dog on the trail. BUT (and this is a big "but") just letting your dog do whatever it wants, makes EVERYONE uncomfortable. Make things easy on you and others and just train them. I took mine, when she was young (3 months) to two simple PETSMART clinics (puppy and intermediate). She a chocolate lab and has been on every 14er climb. I make sure that when I get close to people that she "heels" next to me and knows it is NOT ok to jump up on people (a simple training fix).

I guess you could sum up my advice by saying, "be a responsible dog owner and make your climbing experience good for you and others".
lodidodi
14ers: 27 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by lodidodi »

just do whatever u want and screw everybody else, it seems like anywhere i go somebody is getting mad at me or trying to tell me how to do something their way,i say f$%ck those people
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

ezsuperkev wrote:
lodidodi wrote:just do whatever u want and screw everybody else, it seems like anywhere i go somebody is getting mad at me or trying to tell me how to do something their way,i say f$%ck those people
Probably the worst advice for a new dog owner.
No kidding. I never understand why people are so offended by something as simple as a request to keep your dog under control.
lodidodi
Trip Reports (2)

Post by lodidodi »

I do, jeesh!

randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

lodidodi wrote:I do, jeesh!

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mantana
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mantana »

lodidodi wrote:just do whatever u want and screw everybody else, it seems like anywhere i go somebody is getting mad at me or trying to tell me how to do something their way,i say f$%ck those people
I hope this is not serious advice. It is people like you that gives all dog owners a bad name.
cmhogan10 wrote:I guess you could sum up my advice by saying, "be a responsible dog owner and make your climbing experience good for you and others".
Now this is some good advice. If you want to bring your dog along with you when you hike, it is important for the dog to be well-trained, responsive to your calls, friendly to others, and not too aggressive towards wildlife. Otherwise, you contribute to a bad experience for others on the trail.

Also, I would avoid bringing your dog on anything that has alot of loose rock, in order to avoid having your dog knock down rocks on another person.
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SteveBonowski »

One of the saddest things I ever saw in the mountains occurred several years ago on a descent of Blanca Peak. A beautiful husky was soaking its bleeding paws in the cool water of the upper lake. Its idiot owner took the dog up the sharp rock and scrambling on Blanca without providing any paw protection. I've always wondered how he got the dog out, considering it had to be close to 80 lbs. Advice given above about not taking a dog where there is rockfall danger is good. Also consider what the terrain will be like before you head out with the dog.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Mantana wrote: Also, I would avoid bringing your dog on anything that has alot of loose rock, in order to avoid having your dog knock down rocks on another person.
I witnessed this happen on Snowmass' west face last August. Fortunately, no one was hit by rockfall, but I was hella irritated.
lodidodi
Trip Reports (2)

Post by lodidodi »

Train your dog, keep him on a leash, pick up all his $hit, don't take him over anything class 2, put paw pads on him, feed him only organic food, make him only drink filtered bottled water brought from home, give him breaks every 15 minutes, bring him a jacket and a life preserve, keep him clean, brush his teeth, hug him often, buy him a $600 down bag sleeping bag to sleep in, when he's in your car make sure he has a special dog harness for his seatbelt. I'm sure I'm missing a lot more.