Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Humboldt East Ridge route added

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

Humboldt East Ridge route added

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:26 pm

Fairly popular in winter, I've finally added the East Ridge route to the 14ers.com online guidebook...

Humboldt Peak Routes
Only SNOW will end the madness

Re: Humboldt East Ridge route added

Postby Johnson » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:53 pm

I've been wanting to do this all winter and now winter is almost gone! Don't think I'll get there in the next few hours but still would like to get it before summer conditions. Thanks for adding this. It's nice to have the official stats.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby huffy13 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:21 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Fairly popular in winter, I've finally added the East Ridge route to the 14ers.com online guidebook...

Humboldt Peak Routes

As you said, this is the most popular winter route for Humboldt, is it a good Summer/Fall route or is the the west ridge better? I am curious as to everyone's opinions as to which route has better scenery during the hike, easier access to the TH and whatnot....thanks for any input on this!
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby rijaca » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:38 pm

huffy13 wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:Fairly popular in winter, I've finally added the East Ridge route to the 14ers.com online guidebook...

Humboldt Peak Routes

As you said, this is the most popular winter route for Humboldt, is it a good Summer/Fall route or is the the west ridge better? I am curious as to everyone's opinions as to which route has better scenery during the hike, easier access to the TH and whatnot....thanks for any input on this!

Unless you're comfortable with trail-less hiking/climbing, stick to the west ridge route. The west ridge route will have better views also (you get to stare at the Crestones the entire route)
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby globreal » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:47 pm

Humboldt Peak Routes

Another nice addition to 14ers.com. I am sure it will benefit many.
Thanks Bill for all you do!
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby huffy13 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks rijaca,
That's what I wanted to know. One of the main reasons I enjoy these hikes is the views I get to take in. Thanks again.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby globreal » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:23 pm

huffy13 wrote:

Humboldt Peak Routes

Easier access to the TH?

With the new road closure that has gone into effect on the 120 road, you can now no longer drive to the end of the former "4WD TH." In summer/fall when you can drive up this road, the east ridge/Rainbow Trail route is going to be about a 4 mile shorter hike than the west ridge.

However, the scenery in the south colony lakes basin will be worth the extra miles. IMO.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:27 pm

I've only done the east ridge with snow-cover but it's my understanding that there's no trail once you leave the Rainbow trail. And, as others have said, the views during the climb of the standard route are much better.

Postby huffy13 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:30 pm

Thanks globreal, I don't mind the extra mileage at all. As a matter of fact, I enjoy extra mileage as long as the weather is holding out. I have been keeping tabs on the closure for the South Colony Lakes road and I don't think getting to it would necessarily be a big problem, I just was curious from other folk's experience which is better. So far the west ridge looks like the winner....thanks again!

Postby huffy13 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:32 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I've only done the east ridge with snow-cover but it's my understanding that there's no trail once you leave the Rainbow trail. And, as others have said, the views during the climb of the standard route are much better.

Thanks Bill, it does sound like the concensus on this will be that the standard trail is going to be better overall as well as easier to follow. Thanks for including it on the routes page though, along with all your work on this great site!

Postby rijaca » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Bill, a suggestion for route pages for the east ridge route: Add something to the effect that the route is trail-less, and unless comfortable with off trail hiking below treeline, it would be best to stick to the west ridge route (and standard trail).

No doubt that someone will compare mileage of the routes and decide to do the east ridge route because it's shorter, and then end up lost in the trees because there's no trail.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:42 pm

rijaca wrote:Bill, a suggestion for route pages for the east ridge route: Add something to the effect that the route is trail-less, and unless comfortable with off trail hiking below treeline, it would be best to stick to the west ridge route (and standard trail).

No doubt that someone will compare mileage of the routes and decide to do the east ridge route because it's shorter, and then end up lost in the trees because there's no trail.

Excellent point! I'll add something when I get home.

Thanks

Next