Crestone Needle Ice Routes?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kyle the climber
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Crestone Needle Ice Routes?

Post by Kyle the climber »

well i might be going up in a couple weeks. does anyone now if there is any unclimbed routes here? it seems like all of the good lines have been climbed. :(
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Prater »

RoanMtnMan wrote:We ran into a guy on the top of Humboldt back in mid-february that had just climbed straight up the gulley labeled "Whitney Route" on Kiefer's photo the previous day. He intended to do the traverse too but ran out of daylight. He had climbed it solo with only one tool. He estimated that it was M6 in spots. He had a thick Russian sounding accent and claimed that he had climbed all of the 14ers solo in the last 12 months (most in winter), with the exception of Culebra, which he was on his way to poach. Oh yeah and the weather was pretty bad both days up there. We also noticed that he post holed through very deep snow all the way up to the lakes where he set his camp.

No way to verify the story but he seemed legit. Jcwhite can verify that we at least heard it. If true, makes me feel like a candyass.
Perhaps this guy?
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

That looks like about what he told us John. Couldn't really hear the name b/c it was blowing about 40 up there, but he did have Illinois plates. Looks like he didn't get his Culebra poach, though we left our email addresses on his window in case he wanted some info on how it could be done. Not that I would ever do that.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doumall
14ers: 58  58  22 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (83)

Post by doumall »

John Prater wrote:
RoanMtnMan wrote:We ran into a guy on the top of Humboldt back in mid-february that had just climbed straight up the gulley labeled "Whitney Route" on Kiefer's photo the previous day. He intended to do the traverse too but ran out of daylight. He had climbed it solo with only one tool. He estimated that it was M6 in spots. He had a thick Russian sounding accent and claimed that he had climbed all of the 14ers solo in the last 12 months (most in winter), with the exception of Culebra, which he was on his way to poach. Oh yeah and the weather was pretty bad both days up there. We also noticed that he post holed through very deep snow all the way up to the lakes where he set his camp.

No way to verify the story but he seemed legit. Jcwhite can verify that we at least heard it. If true, makes me feel like a candyass.
Perhaps this guy?
The guy rates Longs Cable route M6... a bit of a stretch :lol: Pretty sweet winter he had though.
Pivvay
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pivvay »

M6R at that.

Still if you take that and apply it to what he said then you get a rough idea of the technical difficulty assuming he thought both routes were about M6.
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Perhaps his ratings take into account that he climbs solo with one tool.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Thread resurrection!!!

So, if the gully to the right (orange/red arrow) is the Whitney route, anyone have any idea what the route to the left (black/white) arrow is? Looks mostly snow sloggish but the chimney could offer some spice and maybe some ice in the right conditions. It's so obvious I can't imagine it hasn't been climbed before... Looks intriguing, could be a fun winter route.

Photo credit: 14ers.com
Make wilderness less accessible.
spadflyer12
14ers: 19  1 
13ers: 7 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by spadflyer12 »

Oooh, I like this thread. Alpine Ambition is another one that looks fun: http://www.mountainproject.com/v/alpine ... /108166358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@Dave B: I'm not sure what that route is, but I think it lets out just at the bottom of the East Gully on Crestone Needle.