Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

TRs: Rotating Images

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

TRs: Rotating Images

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:45 pm

I added the ability to ROTATE images that we've uploaded on trip reports. This won't be used much, but if you need to use it, go to MY TRIP REPORTS to see your reports and click on the "Rotate Images" button next to the report:

The page looks like this - allowing for a clockwise rotation of any photo you've uploaded to the report. So, if multiple photos need to be rotated, it can be done in one shot:

Site Administrator

Re: TRs: Rotating Images

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:01 pm

BTW, I also added the rotate functionality to the "User Photos" section of the site. If you'd like to rotate an image you uploaded to that section, just click on the "My Photos" link and look for the "Rotate Image" option.

This might be handy if you don't know how to rotate an image on your computer. Now you can just upload the original image and rotate it on 14ers.com.

I hope this helps...

Postby doggler » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:17 am

Hey Bill,

I'm working on a TR right now and getting ready to throw my computer out the window. I have numerous vertical pictures that on my computer. When uploaded to my TR, they are rotated...assumedly somewhere something decided that since they were larger vertically than horizontally, they got rotated automatically. Anyway, a search on the forum brought me to this thread. Did we no longer have the functionality to rotate pictures in TRs?

Postby BenfromtheEast » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:12 pm

Bump!

Any hints on photo orientation in TRs? I've looked all over the site, re-saved images, deleted, re-uploaded, even tried to hack some PHP. Google brought me to this thread.

At the same time, maybe it's better to just not post this ridiculous TR...

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:30 pm

BenfromtheEast wrote:Bump!

Any hints on photo orientation in TRs? I've looked all over the site, re-saved images, deleted, re-uploaded, even tried to hack some PHP. Google brought me to this thread.

At the same time, maybe it's better to just not post this ridiculous TR...

Ben, I removed the pic rotation option a while back because they lowered the quality of the photos. If you use Windows, all you have to do is use Windows Explorer to rotate images. Usually this needs to be done if you took them portrait and you need to rotate them left or right 90 degrees. When right-clicking on a JPG in Windows Explorer, there's a rotate left or rotate right option which will do the trick. If you're using a Mac, I don't know the answer but I'm sure a quick search on the web will give you an answer. You could always use photo-editing software to rotate the image(s).

The trip report will upload them in the orientation in which they are saved so if you want to rotate them, you must do this before adding them to a report. If you can't figure out how to rotate images on your computer, you could also let me know when you have your report inactive and I could do it for you before it's activated. I still have admin utilities on 14ers.com which allow me to rotate images.

Does this help?

EDIT: Also, if you're editing the TR by re-uploading the same photos and then previewing, be sure to REFRESH the page once you're previewing the TR because the images may get cached each time and make it appear that the photos were not updated.

Postby BenfromtheEast » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:50 pm

Negative. Bummer.

They need to go 90 degrees counter-clockwise. Previously, they displayed correctly in Windows. After the right-click, rotate left, they display sideways (rotated left) when opened with Windows Photo Viewer, Photo, and Paint. But they still appear in the original orientation in the TR, needing the left rotation.

I found something suggesting a file's EXIF data could be set incorrectly by the camera.

I'm using Chrome, but also tried IE at the suggestion of a website citing its ability to correct EXIF.

These are from my Canon Powershot Elf.

Thank you for your help!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:54 pm

You shouldn't need to change EXIF or anything, just rotate left or right (90 deg) in Windows.

Are they already on an inactive TR? If so, what's the TR #, from the URL in "My Reports"?

Postby BenfromtheEast » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:41 pm

It's inactive and also my only TR. ?trip=14859

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:17 pm

I rotated 13 and 14 but noticed #2 and #12 were missing, so let me know if you need me to rotate any additional pics once you have them all loaded.

Postby BenfromtheEast » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:38 pm

Awesome!

Nope, they were originally 2 and 12. Trying them as 13 and 14 was one attempt of mine. They can stay in those spots.

Is there anything I can do going forward other than take all landscape pictures or not write any more TRs?

Thanks again, Bill!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:40 am

I'm not sure what happened to the files but if the file data was forcing it to landscape, you could always open the original in photo-editing software and use "Save As" or "Save for web" to save it to a new JPG file. This should definitely fix the problem and provide a file which can be uploaded to a TR.

Postby BenfromtheEast » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:03 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I'm not sure what happened to the files but if the file data was forcing it to landscape, you could always open the original in photo-editing software and use "Save As" or "Save for web" to save it to a new JPG file. This should definitely fix the problem and provide a file which can be uploaded to a TR.

I went as far as opening in Photo Viewer and saving a new version. Since the photos I struggled with opened in correct orientation, I believe I rotated, saved, rotated back, and saved again. That didn't work. My next try might be to save into a different format, like PNG, then save back to JPEG for the trip report.

Next