Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

TR Preview (POLL)

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

TR Preview Popup

Thumbs up
67%
Thumbs up but I'd like an option to turn it off
27%
Thumbs down
5%

Total votes : 55
Site Administrator

TR Preview (POLL)

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:51 am

On the main Trip Reports page, I've added a Preview pop-up that comes up when you move your mouse over a trip report name.

Let me know what you think using the poll or leave a comment.

Thanks!
Only SNOW will end the madness

Re: TR Preview (POLL)

Postby sdkeil » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:38 am

The preview is nice because you can see the peaks. It is not always obvious from people's TR titles.
Ass: (noun)
a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, Equus asinus, related to the horse, used chiefly as a beast of burden.

Postby JayMiller » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:51 am

I read a lot more trail reports now that I see ones that look interresting. In the past, I seldom took the time to go the report page unless I was looking for a specific peak.
My Philosophy on Life: If you wake up alive and well ... Shut the heck up.

Postby giarcd » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:05 am

Your constant attention to the web site is very 8)

Postby sgladbach » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:35 am

I didn't vote. I could take it or leave it. Especially with the new Quick Link to TRs on the Home page, i don't think it adds anything.

I also noticed that (maybe specific to my screen size) when I hang over the newest (top) reports, I don't see the whole pre-view anyway.

**PS: A better option would be a virtual reality plug-in. If we each inversted in a helmet which could be plugged into a USB port, we could participate in the climb from our desks at work. It would make the day go quicker.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:56 am

sgladbach wrote:I didn't vote. I could take it or leave it. Especially with the new Quick Link to TRs on the Home page, i don't think it adds anything.

I also noticed that (maybe specific to my screen size) when I hang over the newest (top) reports, I don't see the whole pre-view anyway.

Steve,
I plan on replacing the Home page Quick Link pop-ups with this new functionality because the new popup would only load the extra TR preview when you hover over the link. Now, on the home page, the mini-preview data is loaded each time the home page is refreshed, causing the page to be much larger and a bit slower on start-up.

Also, I'll try to work on the popup placement when working under a low screen resolution. I noticed on 800x600 pixels it was doing exactly as you described.

thanks for the feedback!

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:08 pm

sgladbach wrote:**PS: A better option would be a virtual reality plug-in. If we each inversted in a helmet which could be plugged into a USB port, we could participate in the climb from our desks at work. It would make the day go quicker.

The rest of us hope Steve is the first to get one of those virtual reality cameras!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:20 pm

g wrote:I wonder how sites/browsers take snapshots of entire web pages. Displaying standard size thumbnails of TRs would be 8)

They run special programs that pump the browser data into a PNG or other graphic file. Ideally, that's the way to do it, but it's too much work for little ol 14ers.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:29 pm

I added a "Show/Hide Preview Popups" option on the upper right of the main Trip Reports page. The link simply brings up the "14ers.com Display Settings" page where I added a new option for trip report previews (at the bottom). Once you change that setting, close and refresh the TR page, your setting kicks in.

Note: 14ers.com Display Settings are stored in cookies so if you clear your browser's cookie cache, the settings go back to the defaults.

Postby weschun » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:10 pm

I still think a next/back function on the trip reports for a particular peak would be useful. Especially if you are looking for a specific, non standard route.
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:27 pm

weschun wrote:I still think a next/back function on the trip reports for a particular peak would be useful. Especially if you are looking for a specific, non standard route.

Yup, still on the list, I just haven't gotten to that one yet.

Postby Breckskier » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:02 am

Not quite related to the TR Poll but I'm not seeing Dancesatmoonrises Princeton TR on the homepage. It only shows up when I click on the TR main page.
"If you don't do it this year you'll only be 1 year older when you do." -Warren Miller

Next