More info...

Other ways to help...

13ers.com - Adding ROUTES

Changes to 13ers.com
Site Administrator

13ers.com - Adding ROUTES

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:23 pm

It's finally here...

Registered 14ers.com users can add route descriptions to 13ers.com peak pages! Unlike trip reports, route descriptions are a more fact-based description of a climb and do not focus entirely on the conditions of the day you climbed the peak. They can be time-consuming to create, but are very helpful to climbers. I've added routes for some of the Tenmile, Mosquito and Front range 13ers, but only about 25 routes. Obviously, if a bunch of us start adding routes to 13ers.com, there will be much more information out there. Your routes do NOT become the property of 13ers.com/14ers.com and you can EDIT or DELETE them at any time.

Oh, and you can add 13er Trailheads if they don't already exist on 14ers.com/13ers.com.

Adding a route:

To access your route descriptions, click this link on the 13ers.com home page:
Only SNOW will end the madness

Re: Add ROUTES to 13ers.com

Postby RestlessLegSyndrome » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:23 pm

Thanks for this Bill! It is another great resource to help people get into the wilderness, and your work is much appreciated.

Postby pw » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks. This should be helpful. I had a suggestion/request - Some of the unnamed thirteeners seem to have an unofficial name, but for those of us unfamiliar with the unofficial name, there is no way to identify the peak by its official name. For example Pt 13,117 is also known as Cupid. I stumbled on the name in some trip report or wouldn't have known that Cupid was the same peak. Maybe the height could be added in parenthesis to these peaks?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:14 pm

pw wrote:Thanks. This should be helpful. I had a suggestion/request - Some of the unnamed thirteeners seem to have an unofficial name, but for those of us unfamiliar with the unofficial name, there is no way to identify the peak by its official name. For example Pt 13,117 is also known as Cupid. I stumbled on the name in some trip report or wouldn't have known that Cupid was the same peak. Maybe the height could be added in parenthesis to these peaks?

The elevation is next to those peaks when you select them on the ROUTE ADD page. Also, the 13er Photo Pages (links on home page) are sorted by elevation and include unofficial peak names.

When displaying a route/trip report, you're right, there are places on both sites where the elevation is not displayed next to unofficial peak names. I'll look into where there's enough screen space to add elevations.

Thanks!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:00 am

I see a couple of people have started to add (inactive) routes - let me know if you have any questions or issues using the new pages.
Have fun!

Site Administrator

Re: 13ers.com - Adding ROUTES

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:12 pm

ChicagoTransplant just activated the first user-added route description on 13ers.com. Looks great and we worked out some bugs along the way...

Matterhorn Peak, San Juan Mountains

I hope I've made the ADD/EDIT pages easy enough for many more routes to be added in the future.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:41 pm

An already fine resource keeps getting better. Thanks Bill and others for contributing to the excellence of this site - whether we bag all the peaks or not.
MAS
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:52 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:ChicagoTransplant just activated the first user-added route description on 13ers.com. Looks great and we worked out some bugs along the way...

Matterhorn Peak, San Juan Mountains

I hope I've made the ADD/EDIT pages easy enough for many more routes to be added in the future.

Thanks Bill! The ADD/EDIT pages worked great (once the bugs got fixed!). All I need to do is improve my photoshop skills :oops:

I have many more I am hoping to add in the coming weeks, months etc. This summer I will definitely take some good route photos of all of my ascents and look forward to helping expand the route content!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby d_baker » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:41 am

Bill, I noticed on 13ers.com that you have been busy adding routes.
Nice work!

What about making the Routes box/tab an active link to go to a page showing all the 13ers with route descriptions available?
At this point, it looks like one would have to go to each range to see which peaks have route descriptions.

Postby milan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:30 pm

Thank you all, I realized that there are good routes in Tenmile and Mosquito and there were a lot of trip reports on the other peaks.

Postby jmanner » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Thanks Bill! Many of us would be lost without your tireless work on these two websites!! =D>
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock