Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What are YOU looking at?

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

What are YOU looking at?

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:28 am

In case anyone is interested, I updated the Site Statistics page to include some real-time information about how we are using the site. The link is always available from the home page (click on "Visitors" below the home page photo).

Nerdy, nerdy
Only SNOW will end the madness

Re: What are YOU looking at?

Postby USAKeller » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:30 am

Nerd alert. But I am one too and find it to be so cool! :D
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby skiwall » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:31 am

ooohhh! I LOVE graphs. This is awesome. :)
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:32 am

USAKeller wrote:Nerd alert. But I am one too and find it to be so cool! :D

I think that might be an oxymoron.

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:41 am

Ahh, according to the Visitor's line graph, I see the loyal followers checking in at 6am to see which night-owls contributed TRs and forum fodder; which precedes the trusty 8am "got to work, check the web" users; followed by the "gotta get some work started" decline at about 8:20; which is then followed by the "I want to see if there's a response on anything I wrote this morning" check-in at about 8:45, followed still by the all-out "it's near break time" spike at 9:20.

I laugh, and then realize I myself am part of that damn graph. CURSE YOU BILL M. FOR SUCH GOOD CONTENT!
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Dex » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:49 am

Does Visitors = Unique users?

When I worked on a .com the measurements were Unique user; page views, time on site and demographics
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:00 pm

Dex wrote:Does Visitors = Unique users?

When I worked on a .com the measurements were Unique user; page views, time on site and demographics

Yup, unique users - whether it's the first graph that's updated every ten minutes or the next one that shows unique users for each day.

Not the last part of that page where I give visitors/hits for the entire year (and last year). That's unique users added up for each day from my db/php/page processing. Unique users for the year would be less, but I don't have access to that data from Urchin. The last time I looked at unique IP address for the year, it was something like 250,000+ for 2009 (so far) and about that in 2008. Still, large numbers. That also doesn't account for the same IP address being used by corporate gateways, AOL, etc.

Using Urchin software, I have all of the other stats you mentioned but probably won't add that stuff to the stats page.

Postby Samajax » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:35 pm

I really had no idea about the numbers...over 3,000,000/year. Wow.

I like how the visits go way down each Saturday..all those folks must be outside.

Thanks Bill- for all that you do. I have a 14ers.com sticker on my car and even here in Austin it has caused a couple thumbs up!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:41 pm

Samajax wrote:Thanks Bill- for all that you do. I have a 14ers.com sticker on my car and even here in Austin it has caused a couple thumbs up!

You bet!
Now that things are starting to sell a bit better in the 14ers.com store, I'm going to try and include a sticker in each order.

Postby Spam » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:13 pm

I am a data analyst so nerd by trade......love the fact that it peaks on Mondays...glad to see productive 14ers.com members on the first day of the week....would be inteeresting to see if the peak time was differant on mondays than any other day of the week. Good stuff Bill.
"Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory." -- Ed Viesturs

Postby nbenyo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:20 pm

I think this great Bill! I'm a fairly new member to the site but I love what you've done and it's a great resource for knowledge and advice from others.

Postby Jack » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:10 pm

haha. That's pretty cool bill. Looks like we've got a lot of really diligent workers on this site, considering the highest volume times are middle of the day (2 or 3) on workdays. Interesting that weekend have by far the least individual viewer hits. I am definitely contributing my fair to those work hours though :) Keep it up people, no time to be on over the weekends if you're out climbing! Later.
Jack

Next