What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by cheeseburglar »

I just finished Obmascik's book. Funny stuff.
Now I'm about to start "The Beast God Forgot to Invent" by Jim Harrison.
Or I might read The Ascent of Rum Doodle by Bowman for the 10th time.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

I tend to start a lot of books and not finish them because it takes me a year to read a book. That said, I'm currently reading:
The Avalanche Handbook by by P. A. Schaerer and Peter Schaerer
The Shack by William P. Young
The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks :oops:
michelle
14ers: 7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by michelle »

A Hidden Life by Johanna Reiss

I read the Last of His Kind about a month ago, pretty good.
CowboyPete
14ers: 31 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CowboyPete »

Right now I am surrounded by a pantheon of books on The Letter of Aristeas & Ptolemeic Egypt (3rd C. BC). It is thesis time!
These have nothing to do with mountains... but I can see Pikes Peak bathed in a glorious pink hue out the window at Panera!
Life is hard... but life is REALLY hard when you are stupid.
George Kaplan
14ers: 33  1 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by George Kaplan »

I have way too many books on my to-read list. Right now, I'm about halfway through reading "Tesla: Master of Lightning", a biography about the life and inventions of Nikola Tesla. I don't usually read too many biographies, but this one has really held my interest. Amazing person. There is a chapter dedicated to the period of time when Tesla had a lab set up at Colorado Springs and did experiments with lightning and radio at the top of Pikes Peak.

Some books I hope to be reading soon after are:
"Magic Mountain" by Thomas Mann
"Post Captain" by Patrick O'Brian
"Le Morte D'Arthur" by Thomas Mallory
"Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole

There are lots of good books I can recommend. +1 on whoever recommended "All the Pretty Horses" and "Under the Banner of Heaven". I think you can't go wrong with anything written by John Krakauer or Cormac McCarthy. I particularly also recommend "Blood Meridian" by McCarthy; it's the most ultra-violent western novel I have ever read.

Some other favorites of mine:
The "Horatio Hornblower" series by C.S. Forester (I think that there are 11 in all; great reads!)
"The Best of H.P. Lovecraft" (terrific horror stories - Stephen King's got nothing on Lovecraft!)
"Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut (can be read in a day; lots of other Vonnegut books are great too, but this one's my fave.)
"The Beach" by Alex Garland (hopefully you did not see the terrible Leo DiCaprio movie adaptation....)
"Kidnapped" and the sequel "Catriona" by Robert Louis Stevenson
"Mere Christianity" and "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis
"World War Z" by Max Brooks (ZOMBIES!!!!!)
"The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel
Also, if you like books that are more of a series of puzzles and codes rather than a read, 2 favorites that I have loved for a long time are "The Egyptian Jukebox" by Nick Bantock, and "The Eleventh Hour" by Graeme Base. I wish that people made more books like these!
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

Anything by Dennis Lehane ... especially:
Sacred
Prayers for Rain
The Given Day
Darkness Take My Hand
Mystic River
(others are good too, A Drink Before the War, Gone Baby Gone, Shutter Island, etc.)

Robert Crais is good too, but I've only read about 5 or 6 of his:
Chasing Darkness
The Watchman
Monkey's Raincoat
L.A. Requiem

I'd also recommend the autobiographies of Walter Payton and Johnny Cash.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

jlarocco wrote:Yeah, it's definitely an easy read for an algorithms book.
Does it include instructions on how to use the book? :wink:
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
sstrauss
14ers: 23 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sstrauss »

Just finished Transcendant Summits and Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Both great reads.

Looking for the next book, but some favorites to add to the list.

Desert Solitare Fantastic book!
Gates of Fire If you liked the 300, this is a must read, better in my opinion
The Club Dumas a bit of a historical fiction/mystery. They made a movie out of it called the 9th gate. But the book, as usual blows it away. This author has a few others that are amazing mystery novels as well. Highly recommended.
The Count of Monte Cristo is a must read and might be one of the all time best novels.
The Complete Short Stories Of Robert Louis Stevenson ... There are so many fantastic little stories in here....
The Alchemist My personal favorite
Letters to a Young Poet Rilke. great quotables. reads like a father instructing a son on life's lessons. Good stuff.

so many more....
"He discovered that boredom and fear and anger are the reasons that one's life is so short, and with these gone from his thought, he lived a long fine life indeed." R. Bach
paul109876
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (12)

Post by paul109876 »

I hadn't read entire book in a long long very long time. Until this year when I read " Halfway to Heaven".
Now I'm reading "The kid who climbed Everest" and I'm half way through it. So far it's pretty good.
Try waking up on the right side of the grass- that's a good place to start
Opinions are like A$$Holes- everyone has one, but some stink worse than others. So please, keep your opinion clean.
I work a lot of hours so I don't have to sleep outside and so I can go on vacation and be outside.
Guitarzan
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Guitarzan »

"The Terror" by Dan Simmons. It is a fictionalized account of what my have happened to the expedition led by Sir John Franklin. They disappeared searching for the Northwest Passage in 1845.
"Pain don't hurt."- Patrick Swayze ROAD HOUSE
Glen
14ers: 38  1 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Glen »

Performance rock climbing by Dale Goddard and Udo neumann :

not a how to rock climbing book but a how to improve your game not just rock climbing but a lot of sports and life in general i think

also

Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine

awesome ideas on ultra light backpacking. I think this guy also invented the cam, very interesting
Last edited by Glen on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I remember when I used to be into nostalgia."
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

Indian Givers - How the Indians of the Americas Transformed the World by Jack Weatherford.