Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Music

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Music

Postby Guitarzan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:16 pm

I go with Pantera!!!
"Pain don't hurt."- Patrick Swayze ROAD HOUSE

Postby rider » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Tool :YY

+1 for Tool, especially for when the mountain gods are throwing down some bad weather ... dark clouds, rain, sleet, wind, etc. ...

Postby trainwreck » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:48 pm

tbaileymd wrote:I couldn't really do my workouts here in Indiana without the iPod. But out in Colorado, the only things I really want to hear on the trail are nature, and my own footsteps.

what part of indiana are you from? im from noblesville
"all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream"

"Rather than love, than money, than fame; give me truth"

Postby CorduroyCalves » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:07 pm

trainwreck wrote:
tbaileymd wrote:I couldn't really do my workouts here in Indiana without the iPod. But out in Colorado, the only things I really want to hear on the trail are nature, and my own footsteps.

what part of indiana are you from? im from noblesville

Haha, a good friend of mine lives in Noblesville.

Regarding music, I listen before/after but not during. I enjoy the serenity of my surroundings.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby MountainHiker » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:26 pm

I’m with the apparent majority here. I never listen to music while I’m hiking. Hearing is a huge part of situational awareness, plus I’d rather listen to the natural music of the outdoors. And I hate earphones. I have been known to sing while hiking!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Keldog » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:56 pm

To each his own, I'm with the never crowd. Why would I want to mess up the great sounds that nature has provided? I can listen to music 24/7 the rest of the year.
My #1 pet peeve is listening to someones boom box ruining the peace and quiet in the mountains.
Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.

Postby skiwall » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:10 pm

JsinDeAZ wrote:as soon as I back outta the garage to start the trip to the TH, I blast the same song everytime. Pretty Lights - Finally Moving remix

Good song! It's on my "I'm going skiing!" playlist. :)
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby trainwreck » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:31 pm

i see where u guys are coming from in not wanting to listen to music when hiking; personally, i just cant enjoy the sounds of nature like ya'll do, so i just need to listen to music. Plus, for me at least, music makes the hike go by quicker and easier, and i enjoy nature more with my eyes than ears :)
"all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream"

"Rather than love, than money, than fame; give me truth"

Postby sstrauss » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:33 pm

Nobody has been on that never-ending approach or trail back to the car.....? Climb Longs enough times in one year and you'll be happy for some tunes on the way out and in. Those miles just melt away.
"He discovered that boredom and fear and anger are the reasons that one's life is so short, and with these gone from his thought, he lived a long fine life indeed." R. Bach

Postby argothor » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:35 pm

I take my iPod only if I'm camping and then I only listen to it while in the tent before going to sleep. On the trail I prefer the sounds of mother nature or the company I'm hiking with. But on my iPod there is classical, blues, classic rock, southern rock, jazz, blue grass, folk, alternative, Motown and some zydeco and Celtic.

Postby Tjohn67238 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:28 pm

The first time I hiked Yale I had my iPod on. But as I reached treeline and the trail got steeper and the hike got harder, I shut it off. I just wanted to focus on the task at hand.

Postby kimo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:51 pm

Listen to music mostly above treeline and on well-traveled routes in daylight (like East Longs). On less-traveled routes, bushwacking, or in late afternoon, early morning, or dark, I feel too vulnerable to wear headphones.

I typically listen to IDM, electro, trip hop, psychedelia (60s and modern). Recent adds include Moby, Destroid, Massive Attack, Benoit Pioulard, Architect, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Jade Warrior.

Derek! Good to see you back. Hope everything is well.

There are times when the silence in nature is all I need. It's about 50/50. But I am a music lover, and hiking with good ear buds is QUALITY music-listening time. Some songs really touch the soul at 14K feet.
Last edited by kimo on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext