Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Music

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Music

Postby trainwreck » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:49 pm

Does anyone else listen to music while they hike? personally i like either rap or techno; it gives a good beat to hike to
"all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream"

"Rather than love, than money, than fame; give me truth"

Re: Music

Postby huffy13 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:26 pm

I have tried to listen to music when hiking but I have always ended up taking the earphones out and just enjoying the sounds of the different birds, squirrels, and yes, even pika and marmots. I always have my mp3 player with me but have never used it once on the trail. I do listen to it the entire drive to Colorado and then to the trailhead and then back home though. I have mostly alternative rock but a lot of other stuff too....pretty eclectic collection of music.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby Glen » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:26 pm

Tool :YY
"I remember when I used to be into nostalgia."

Postby JsinDeAZ » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:35 pm

I don't listen to music while hiking. But, as soon as I back outta the garage to start the trip to the TH, I blast the same song everytime. Pretty Lights - Finally Moving remix
-----------------------------
I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

...I love not man the less, but Nature more... - Lord Byron

Postby prestone818 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

i always bring it just in case. on a 14er i will listen but not in the woods. most of the time i will just play something on my blackberry. the bold has a great speaker, i will leave it in my backpack and just use it as background music.

edit- house music ftw

Postby jaymz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:35 pm

I like to bring the ipod just to listen to something triumphant and victorious on the summit :mrgreen:

Postby rocky » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:51 pm

Hmmm - as much as I love my MP3 - it NEVER goes on hikes of any kind.

Situational awareness is so important. If you are listening to your tunes you are presumably hiking alone. While hiking alone you should be keenly aware of animal sounds, wind gusts (especially if hiking in areas of beetle-kill) and rock-fall.

Just my 2 cents worth.
rocky
south fork, colorado

Postby huffy13 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:32 pm

rocky wrote:Hmmm - as much as I love my MP3 - it NEVER goes on hikes of any kind.

Situational awareness is so important. If you are listening to your tunes you are presumably hiking alone. While hiking alone you should be keenly aware of animal sounds, wind gusts (especially if hiking in areas of beetle-kill) and rock-fall.

Just my 2 cents worth.

That is one reason that I don't use mine on the hike itself. A friend of mine was wearing his iPod while on a hike in Palo Duro Canyon a couple of years ago and unknowingly walked up on a rattlesnake. The snake struck but luckily his boots went high enough up on his legs that the snake hit them instead of his just below his calf. Close call! Granted a rattlesnake is not something you would not have to worry about as much in the higher elevations but I can see the value of your senses keeping you out of harms way, especially below tree line.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby trainwreck » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:07 am

valid points, but id think ud feel wind gusts :P, and as for wildlife, i dont play mine too loud, and i myself stepped on a rattlesnake and jumped back 10 feet in a second; luckily it just slithered off into the brush off trail
"all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream"

"Rather than love, than money, than fame; give me truth"

Postby tbaileymd » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:21 pm

I couldn't really do my workouts here in Indiana without the iPod. But out in Colorado, the only things I really want to hear on the trail are nature, and my own footsteps.

Postby Derek » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:34 pm

rocky wrote:Hmmm - as much as I love my MP3 - it NEVER goes on hikes of any kind.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree, however the only time I use music is solo (otherwise its just rude :P ) and above treeline. Usually, I can't hear anything anyways because of the wind, and theres no hazards such as tree fall and animals. (besides another hikers dog)

I will never use headphones below trees or at night when there are other things I should be listening for.

Music of choice: Sigur Ros, Belle and Sebastian, Arcade Fire.

--Derek

Postby BaronVonBergschrund » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:45 pm

I only listen to music if it is the 'Hoff.

Baron Von Bergschrund
Remember, remember, the third of December.
Sharing wisdom on Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer, Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners

Next