Almagre

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Almagre

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Any of the Springs guys know how Almagre is looking right now?

Me and a friend would like to ride mountain bikes up it in the next few days, and while there's a fair amount of snow at elevation, a lot of wheelers go up the route; With the sun and warm temps recently, we're thinking it could be melted out. Anyone been up there lately? TIA.

-Jim
ryguy79
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Almagre

Post by ryguy79 »

I haven't been up there recently, but it sure looks snowy up there from town.
womanhiker
14ers: 41 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by womanhiker »

I would have to agree with the above post. It looks pretty snowy up there. I wouldn't want to take a bike up.
You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
England
Trip Reports (0)

Post by England »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Any of the Springs guys know how Almagre is looking right now?

Me and a friend would like to ride mountain bikes up it in the next few days, and while there's a fair amount of snow at elevation, a lot of wheelers go up the route; With the sun and warm temps recently, we're thinking it could be melted out. Anyone been up there lately? TIA.

-Jim
How are you accessing the road (379A???) Are you getting there by going up Old Stage road? I don't own the Mount Big Chief topo, and naturally thats the one I need. Could you elaborate?
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

I have survived 3 avalanches...all my fault. yes i'm a dumb-ass!
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

14" of snow at 11,500.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
dcbates80911
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (20)

Post by dcbates80911 »

Not sure what the snow is like today. However, the east face road tends to collect snow and keep it. Once you get into the bowl around the old damn and up towards the summit, I bet there will be quite a bit of snow. It maybe a challenge.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
England
Trip Reports (0)

Post by England »

dcbates80911 wrote: Once you get into the bowl around the old damn and up towards the summit,
"old damn", you said a bad word. :lol:
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

dcbates80911
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (20)

Post by dcbates80911 »

England wrote:
dcbates80911 wrote: Once you get into the bowl around the old damn and up towards the summit,
"old damn", you said a bad word. :lol:
oops....I meant dam. :wink:
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
fox_inthesnow
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (7)

Post by fox_inthesnow »

Mt. Big Chief Quad
Explore it here:
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/QMap.php?Q=11216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
England
Trip Reports (0)

Post by England »

fox_inthesnow wrote:Mt. Big Chief Quad
Explore it here:
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/QMap.php?Q=11216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks so much!!!

SarahSimon
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SarahSimon »

For comparison, there was about a foot of snow on Cheynne Mountain (9er) this past Sunday 1st November:

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... _id=154697" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And from the MacNiel trail, Almagre looked to have a decent blanket of snow on it:

http://www.summitpost.org/image/570544/ ... trail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't speak as to how the warm temps and sunshine this week have affected snowpack.

Enjoy!

Sarah
"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there." ~ John Wooden
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

England wrote:
Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Any of the Springs guys know how Almagre is looking right now?

-Jim
How are you accessing the road (379A???) Are you getting there by going up Old Stage road? I don't own the Mount Big Chief topo, and naturally thats the one I need. Could you elaborate?
Yeah, we were going to ride from my house up Old Stage and then on to Frosty's Park and then up Almagre. My friend wanted a hard ride. It's a frickin' marathon. I did it earlier this Fall. Long day, but a good fat-burner. We ended up doing a lot easier ride b/c I wanted to do a 14er the next day....and decided folks were probably right about the snow anyway.