Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

3,000 foot rule in question

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

3,000 foot rule in question

Postby aecrew618 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:16 pm

I just broke the 3,000 foot rule when I climbed Belford and Oxford together. Then i realized, how can anyone do the 3,000 foot rule when the only available route to get to belford is by going over oxford first and then climbing the ridge to get to the summit of belford.

Postby Andy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:18 pm

You have to go back and climb it again. That way you've got two climbs, one for each peak. That way you won't have broken the rule and you get to "count" both mountains in your tally.

What you should have done was climbed Oxford, then descended back down the way you came 3,000', then retraced your steps back over Oxford to Belford. That way you wouldn't have had to climb Belford twice.
Last edited by Andy on Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Postby Mooney Pilot » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:50 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the 3,000 foot rule?

Postby Andy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:55 pm

Mooney Pilot wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what is the 3,000 foot rule?

You you have to ascend 3,000' for each 14er you climb. If don't then then you don't get a trophy when you finish the 14ers.

- Bart Simpson

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Postby GW Duncan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:07 pm

What you should have done was climbed Oxford, then descended back down the way you came 3,000', then retraced your steps back over Oxford to Belford. That way you wouldn't have had to climb Belford twice.

There isn't a practical way to climb Oxford without climbing virtually all of Belford anyway is there without some serious bushwacking. The standard Missouri Gulch approach and even the Pine Creek approach both pretty much take within a few feet of Belford no matter what you do.
"At first, nothing happened, then after a moment, nothing continued to happen." Douglas Adams

Postby telehead » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:09 pm

Mooney Pilot wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what is the 3,000 foot rule?

Relish in the ignorance. :) Its a ridiculous rule created by god knows who and leads to many contentious flame wars.

Postby lodgling » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:25 pm

No need to climb Belford twice. Just climb Oxford again and you're in the clear.

Postby Andy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:36 pm

lodgling wrote:

No need to climb Belford twice. Just climb Oxford again and you're in the clear.

Good call. I should have thought of that. :oops:

- Bart Simpson

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Postby Aspen Summit » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:11 pm

Dude, just go to Asia and TAKE EVEREST or K2 and then laugh at the 3000 ft. rule. :twisted:

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!

Postby kiddrockies » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:30 pm

3000 foot rule.... argh...
Nothing wrong with it if you like it, but I'm really glad that I just decided to reach summits. I'm a goal oriented person, but it just makes a lot more aesthetic sense to me somehow. No offense.
2999's not a climb, ya know??? but I've set really picky running goals as well as other areas of my life, and I can't judge and it's all good. Still the idea of reclimbing just to get the rule done makes me feel woozy.
My next step is to try to eliminate the rotten feeling that "if it's not a 14'er, it's not worthy." West Spanish was one of my best days ever - a cool, majestic peak. Wheeler too, and the Mummies.... Hood, the Grand Teton, and Baker for that matter. I don't think it's ego, but I'm not sure. Just being a pure hobbiest I guess is what the rule's about. I still don't get it or want to. Don't hate me!
The Lord God is my strength, and He will make my feet like hind's feet, and He will make me to walk upon the high places.
Habakkuk 3:19

And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray.
Matthew 14:23

Postby MN teleMARKer » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:37 pm

Since I hiked Pikes Peak yesterday via Barr Trail and gained 7400 feet in elevation, can I use half of that to make up for hiking Belford and Oxford together :?: :-k :)

Postby Tparker » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:40 pm

Yeah kind of like cellphone roll-over minutes...has potential!

T

Next