Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Checklist & Weights - Shoeshoeing, Mountaineering

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Checklist & Weights - Shoeshoeing, Mountaineering

Postby Dex » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:12 pm

I had some time on my hands so I thought I would put together a checklist and weights for shoeshoeing/mountaineering (no rope or ice climbing). This is for one person one or two nights in the 14ers or Tetons.
The bolded numbers in column "A" are the mfg weights; others are my estimates (not from a scale).
I'm coming up with 30.48 lbs carry weight (excluding food & water) and 9.14 lbs wearing weight. This could be trimmed - no hiking pants but then I might add fleece pants.

Any comments, suggestions are appreciated.

Add/Change In/Out According to Trip
Bear Spray
Rain Pants
Things to buy
Zip Ties
MSR Snowshoe Field Service Kit
Attachments
E1.jpg
E1.jpg (101.89 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
E2.jpg
E2.jpg (96.67 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
E3.jpg
E3.jpg (122.22 KiB) Viewed 2644 times
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Re: Checklist & Weights - Shoeshoeing, Mountaineering

Postby Greenhouseguy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:09 pm

Just a thought - does your Swiss Army knife do anything that your multi-tool doesn't do? You may be carrying extra weight if there is too much overlap between the capabilities of the tools. The list seems to be pretty well thought out.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby LovetheMountains » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:41 pm

I like small "velcro" wraps instead of zip ties for almost every application I've come across.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:44 pm

For me, add my Marmot, roomy, 2-person, bomber, 4-season tent
9lbs

I'll bring it just about anywhere! Chi-Basin? You bet. The trick is to find a partner that will haul it up the hill.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Oman » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:52 pm

Good list, but no down coat? Lots of warmth for little weight.

Postby Dex » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:58 am

Greenhouseguy wrote:Just a thought - does your Swiss Army knife do anything that your multi-tool doesn't do? You may be carrying extra weight if there is too much overlap between the capabilities of the tools. The list seems to be pretty well thought out.

Your're right - I'll drop the swiss army knife.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby gsliva » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:51 am

Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

Postby Dex » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:48 pm

Oman wrote:Good list, but no down coat? Lots of warmth for little weight.

I'm thinking with the soft shell jacket and layering I should be OK.
Montani Semper Liberi

Postby Dorje1018 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:12 pm

I wonder if you have to be 21 to purchase. :lol:
"Climb if you will but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence and that momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step, and from the beginning think what might be the end"

Postby Grizzlybear » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:24 pm

Very useful list thanks. :D
 ò ó
  ┴
└─┘

Postby Spam » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:07 pm

Great list...thanks for that....I could go a 2 day without the toothbrush...leave in the car for when done. You could eliminate a few more ounces by just taking a knife or multi tool and using that in place of a trowel. How much do you think a GPS weighs (sorry if I don't see it on the list). this is a good list.....I am going to share it with friends.
"Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory." -- Ed Viesturs

Postby bckcntryskr » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:25 pm

Very nice list. I always take a warm pair of mittens in the pack and sometimes 2 pairs of "skinnning" gloves, one in the pack and the other on my hands. Do you have 24" of wire in your repair kit, very valuable stuff in the field...Thanks for sharing.
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"

Next