Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cycling question!

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Cycling question!

Postby D8S » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:40 pm

Your brakes should be fine. My bike is a good 20 years older than yours :shock: , and I've never had a problem. If you're worried, ride a little higher on the handlebars to increase your wind resistance. And like PracticallyNative said, remember it will be cold on the ride down.

My gearing is stock, 40/52 front and 26-14 rear. For me the low gear is just right. I can't tell you all the times I wish I had a higher gear, although I've gotten pretty good at spinning......

Have a great ride.

Dave

Postby pw » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:32 pm

Prairie Native wrote:I've recently began using my bike more and have a few questions about road biking in colorado. Ive been climbing the biggest hills around here that I can find and even have a hilly crit course that I try and do 3 times a week. I feel like I can climb these hills pretty easy. One is 3/4 of a mile and around 7%. Not horrible but I hit it after busting my @$$ after 10 miles. The question is what are some cool passes around the state that are road bike friendly. I know that I will die, nothing here measures up obviously. But I still want to test my meddle. I'm assuming Mt. Evans is out of the question, but I would like to try something like Independence pass. Any suggestions about training/routes?

I've been doing Deer Creek Canyon regularly for about 8 years, there are more bikers every year, wouldn't surprise me if 100 or more people do it on a busy weekend now. Start is just south of C470 at Wadsworth Blvd. and Deer Creek. 14 miles to the top, elevation gain is 3000' (5,500' to 8,500'). 6 miles up Deer Creek, then take a left where the sign for High Grade road is and another 8 miles up to where the road crests (another 3 miles takes you into Connifer, slightly downhill). You won't be alone on a weekend, and you'll see bikers most weekdays.

BTW Prairie Native - where is "here"?

Postby Prairie Native » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:42 am

Eastern Kansas. there are some decent hills around here if you seek them out but nothing like out there. The loop around campus I do is around 2 miles has 4-5 hills with each being 100-150 ft of gain. Not a lot, but I do the loop multiple times and one of the hills hits 12-14%. Again they are not long hills but im building some good leg muscle. I switch that up with long, fast, flat roads on other days. Passing the local club riders on my POS always makes me smile....I wish I had time to join a club. But I do my campus route at 10pm usually and im pretty sure not a lot of clubs do that.
Something witty.

Postby Prairie Native » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:44 am

BTW does anyone want to buy me an Orca? Preferably a 61cm frame and orange.
Something witty.

Postby pw » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:34 pm

Prairie Native wrote:Eastern Kansas. there are some decent hills around here if you seek them out but nothing like out there. The loop around campus I do is around 2 miles has 4-5 hills with each being 100-150 ft of gain. Not a lot, but I do the loop multiple times and one of the hills hits 12-14%. Again they are not long hills but im building some good leg muscle. I switch that up with long, fast, flat roads on other days. Passing the local club riders on my POS always makes me smile....I wish I had time to join a club. But I do my campus route at 10pm usually and im pretty sure not a lot of clubs do that.

I sort of think the best training for someone who lives in the midwest and is planning to ride a few hills here in Colorado is to find a semi-flat stretch of road and do 25 or 30 miles at a moderately hard pace, say a heart rate in the 140's. That's how these big hills work out for me anyway - a slow steady grind for an hour and half with my heart rate mostly in the 140's (with the occasional spike above 155), so I'm thinking training that way is probably the best way to prepare. Of course, instead of riding at 8 mph, you'd be riding at 20 mph.

Postby gatorchick » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Prairie Native wrote:Eastern Kansas. there are some decent hills around here if you seek them out but nothing like out there. The loop around campus I do is around 2 miles has 4-5 hills with each being 100-150 ft of gain. Not a lot, but I do the loop multiple times and one of the hills hits 12-14%. Again they are not long hills but im building some good leg muscle. I switch that up with long, fast, flat roads on other days. Passing the local club riders on my POS always makes me smile....I wish I had time to join a club. But I do my campus route at 10pm usually and im pretty sure not a lot of clubs do that.

Are you in Lawrence by chance? The best "climb" I found in that area was the road going up to Baldwin (can't think of the name of it?). Its still nothing compared to the climbs in Colorado but maybe if you do repeats up it it will help?
Jen

"In her heart she knows that sometimes a dog can be as good as any man ..." - widespread panic (slightly edited)

Postby Prairie Native » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:58 pm

Its funny you should mention that hill. Its the one I was talking about in my original post. She is beastly, especially when you have no idea that its there; and after you have been trying to set landspeed records on your bicycle on the way to baldwin. I was averaging 23 on the way there from Lawrence and then 15 on the way back because of that effin hill. I hit 48 with a lot of pedaling on the way down though!. Another really good hill, that I find only slightly less challenging, is the road going up onto Clinton dam from the south. It has zero traffic and you have to turn right at the bottom of the hill so you have no initial speed when approaching it.

Regarding the long flat roads and keeping up the speed: That describes my normal rides. I rarely get to ride (2-3 times a week) so when I go I try to get a good work out. I average 20 or just under and my heart rate is up there.

I have a question to fellow cyclists: Do you feed off of music or other riders more? I never get to ride with others, at least not ones that push me (they are usually on mountain bikes). But when I am on my bike with some heavy industrial cranked I feel fast.........lol now I feel dumb...but does anyone else get this feeling?
Something witty.

Postby kutipper » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:47 am

thanks for the insult buddy. I guess i will never ride with you again then if i don't push you.
I must confess that I am the deputy of love.

Postby mountaingoat-G » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:42 am

I’ve never set foot in Kansas, so I can’t compare to rides there, but I can echo what others have said here with a few additions/opinions: The West side of Independence is significantly harder than the east side. Ditto for the east side of Trail Ridge road. Mt Evans is harder when done from Idaho Springs vs Bergen Park. Flagstaff is way steep, way way harder than Lookout Mountain or Deer Creek/Highgrade. North side of Red Mountain Pass is harder than the south side, harder than Molas/Coal Bank. There is also the road climb to St Mary’s that is steep with rough pavement, but I’ve never done that one. I don’t remember the east side of Wolf Creek being that hard, but it’s been many years since I have done that one. East side of Cottonwood is another good one, have not done the west side. The North side of Grand Mesa is another good long one, but I hear the south side is tougher. On another subject, I would avoid using headphones due to the possibility of being distracted and not hearing cars coming up from behind. Most of the climbs listed can get very busy with cars, some of whom want to kill you (half joking).

Postby Prairie Native » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:45 am

O tipper, its not your fault. You just have to lug around a 35 pound bike with full suspension. I think its a sign from above to get a road bike already..
Something witty.

Postby kutipper » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:28 am

oh don't you worry buddy, when i get my road bike it will be you trying to stay up with me. I will make that a promise. by the way thanks for passing out last night. I wanted to go on a ride after the nice storm and have a few ice cold white rascals afterwards.
I must confess that I am the deputy of love.

Postby stlouishiker » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:40 pm

Going from Lake City up to Slumgullion Pass would be a big hill. I don't think it would be too busy either.

Previous