Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Mexico in October

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

New Mexico in October

Postby Steve Gio » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:54 am

So I was wondering about New Mexico in October for a possible backpacking trip or even just a camping trip with hiking abd mt biking. It would be just a 4 day weekend so it wouldn't be too far south. Any ideas??? Anyone else interested. Just be and my wife.

Re: New Mexico in October

Postby MtHurd » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:31 am

My recommendation would be the Latir Peaks wilderness. Camp just below Hart Lake (start at Cabresto Lake) and you can use it as a base for Baldy (Latir not the one at Philmont), Baldy Cabin Peak, Latir Mesa, Latir Peak, Venado Peak, and Virsilvia Peak. You could then backpack up into Bull Creek and use that as a base for Cabresto, Cabresto sur Este, Bull Creek Peak, and Pinebete Peak. All of these peaks are 12ers except for Pinebete which is just below 12. There will be very few people there once you leave Cabresto Lake.

If you want to drive a little further, there are even more options in the Pecos Wilderness. The Truchas Peaks are my favorite peaks in New Mexico. You can camp at Pecos Baldy Lake (via Jacks Creek) and bag East Pecos Baldy and Pecos Baldy, then move on to Trailriders wall and camp which will give you access to all 4 Truchas Peaks.

I mountain bike but I haven't done any around there, although there should be plenty of options.

Postby nyker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:49 pm

Check out the Taos area and Wheeler Peak - pretty nice up there.

Postby lubbocktexan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:20 pm

Pecos wilderness gets my vote, very very nice

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/carson/recreation/fishing/images/trampas_lake.jpg

Wheeler peak is also a good one as mentioned
You Don't Need A Weather Man To Know Which Way The Wind Blows

Postby abqben56 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Early or late October? The areas other posters have mentioned are all great, but by the end of the month could be getting pretty cold and possibly snowy up high - all these places get up close to or over 13K. It's also hunting season if that's a concern, not sure of the exact dates.

Postby lazyhiker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:03 pm

Around mid-October, how much snow should I expect on Santa Fe Baldy (near Santa Fe) and Sierra Blanca (near Ruidoso)? Ofcourse, each year is different; just looking for average conditions.

Postby lubbocktexan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:09 pm

i wouldnt expect too much snow on sierra blanca, since i have been there in febuary and there wasnt any snow to ski on! but wheeler might be a different story
You Don't Need A Weather Man To Know Which Way The Wind Blows

Postby abqben56 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:08 pm

lazyhiker wrote:Around mid-October, how much snow should I expect on Santa Fe Baldy (near Santa Fe) and Sierra Blanca (near Ruidoso)? Ofcourse, each year is different; just looking for average conditions.

It's unlikely to be an issue, though it could be, at least on Baldy. If it's been raining in Santa Fe, it'll have been snowing up there (like right now). Here's a link for a snotel just south of SF ski area:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/snotel.pl?sitenum=922&state=nm

Postby MtHurd » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:41 pm

In most years, there will be very little on Santa Fe Baldy and a good chance there will be none on Sierra Blanca in mid-October. It is possible after a storm though, but not probable.

Postby lazyhiker » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:09 am

All, Thanks for the info!

Postby Steve Gio » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:47 am

Thanks all for the information. We don't have a plan but it was just a thought to see if we could go south and do a warmer trip than up here. No specific dates yet either but now I have a little more to think about.

Next