Camping near the Bierstadt trail

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TeamDino5280
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Camping near the Bierstadt trail

Post by TeamDino5280 »

I wanted to get a last (easy) backpacking style camping trip in the next few weeks. I was thinking of hiking part way in to Bierstadt on the standard route and camping near 10,500 -11,500 feet, then trying to summit in the morning. In concept this sounds like an easy way to obtain my goal. Is this area ok for this ? is this frowned upon? any suggestions on another close to Denver overnight trip where I can avoid car camping?
hfd73
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Camping near the Bierstadt trail

Post by hfd73 »

That will be kinda hard to do since the TH elevation is 11,669'. I don't remember any good places to camp on the trail. There are a few good camping spots on the road to the pass, on the Grant side. I stayed at one around 10,500'. Has a stream nearby and everything. PM me if you would like GPS coords.
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

I don't know much about the Burning Bear campground, other than that was where I intended to start my Bierstadt/Sawtooth/Evans adventure a few weeks ago (before I screwed up my quad on Shavano :( ).

It's relatively close to Guanella Pass (on the Grant side), and if you decide to camp there, I would be on the lookout for burning bears (obviously).
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

It's legal as long as you follow the usual rules (200 feet from water or trails). It's probably not the best area for it, though; there are no trees, just head-high willow bushes interspersed with mud in most places off-trail. There are some open grassy areas not far from the trailhead, but you'll probably be in full view of the legions of passing hikers early the next morning, all of whom will make sarcastic comments as they go by.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
pnolans
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pnolans »

You COULD hike in from the Abyss Lake Trail... and then follow the Rosalie Trail. (Turn left at the junction).

The Abyss Lake Trailhead is just next to the Burning Bear Campground.

That's not what you asked for, and I don't think it would be easier, but there's plenty of good camping spots along THAT trail.
And as Jim Davies says, follow the usual rules.

I've hiked along that trail, and it's very pleasant.

I could give a few more details if you're interested.

It's like this for a ways:

http://www.wanderinpat.com/Taz/AbyssLake/trail1.htm
"Hey Queen Isabella,
stay away from that fella
He'll just get you into trouble, you know"
Common Sense John Prine
TeamDino5280
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TeamDino5280 »

Thanks for all of the Info! I figured that camping off of the trail would probably be a bust, the abyss trail seems like a good Idea I had looked into that and climbing the East ridge but my girlfriend is timid around exposure so i figured that could work for next summer :lol:

I will most likely look for one off of the pass road comming from the Grant side

THANKS!
jkirkwood6136
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jkirkwood6136 »

Did you end up backcountry camping off of the Bierstadt Trail?
I was thinking about possibly doing this in July on a Tuesday or Wednesday with my wife and 4 year old daughter.
I'm not worried about the sarcastic "experts" hiking Bierstadt while camping.
I'm just looking/seeking a spot somewhere along the trail or slightly off the trail where we could camp and then possibly get up early and try and summit with our 4 year old if the weather cooperates.
I've noticed on maps that there is a small group of trees just pass the creek a ways, possibly a mile into the trail and a little north of the trail.
Can anyone confirm whether or not that area is somewhat flat or not?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I'm hoping my 4 year old daughter will be able to bag her first 14er this summer, but I want to be safe as it is above tree line.
Thanks!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

There's no great camping right off the Bierstadt trail. The trail enters the willows, before heading up. The willows are well, filled with willows, and is basically a big high-elevation swamp/drainage. After that, you'll be extremely exposed, looking for a site on rocky, and steep ground. If it's not rocky, it'll be tundra, which you shouldn't camp on (Which is probably the main reason this area isn't advertised for its camping).

Rather, there are many dispersed sites on the Georgetown side, just inside treeline, complete with places to park your car. Give you some privacy, some cover and perhaps even a place to build a fire.

Those trees you're looking at are going to be smaller than you think - more 10 feet tall that you can be around, rather than 30 feet tall you can be under.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

justiner wrote:There's no great camping right off the Bierstadt trail. The trail enters the willows, before heading up. The willows are well, filled with willows, and is basically a big high-elevation swamp/drainage. After that, you'll be extremely exposed, looking for a site on rocky, and steep ground. If it's not rocky, it'll be tundra, which you shouldn't camp on (Which is probably the main reason this area isn't advertised for its camping).

Rather, there are many dispersed sites on the Georgetown side, just inside treeline, complete with places to park your car. Give you some privacy, some cover and perhaps even a place to build a fire.

Those trees you're looking at are going to be smaller than you think - more 10 feet tall that you can be around, rather than 30 feet tall you can be under.
^This. Trying to camp along the trail would be more trouble than it's worth, and there aren't any great spots. I also don't think it would save you any time on the hike. You're better off camping in one of the sites along the road just North of Guanella Pass.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Richard Derkase wrote:There is nice camping up Scott Gomer Creek on the way to Evans. It's a longer hike, but there are NO crowds. You won't see anyone until you hit the ridge to Evans and then you'll see all the ants marching up B.

Dick
If you're referring to the Abyss Lake Trail, that is a fun way to do Bierstadt and Evans. I did Bierstadt East Ridge and Tour d'Abyss from that TH. I doubt jkirkwood6163 is looking for a ~17 mile round trip with a 4 year old though.
Last edited by TaylorHolt on Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Folks...please try to not confuse people by making inaccurate and misleading statements about a geographically confusing area!! If you're not sure, maybe consult a map and refresh your own memory before commenting!

1) Scott Gomer Creek and Abyss Lake have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with each other - in fact, they're almost exactly 180 degrees across from each other, with the Sawtooth in between them.
2) OP asked about Bierstadt, not Evans. He wants to do it with his 4-yo. The only way to do Bierstadt from SGC is via the Sawtooth, which is an absolutely terrible idea with a 4-year-old.
3) RT to Evans using this route is over 9 miles, not 6.5. It's right there in the route page: http://14ers.com/route.php?route=evan3&peak=Mt.+Evans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
4) There is no way to avoid the willows by going "north". On the contrary, the farther north you go, the worse they get.
5) If solitude is the goal, there are about a million better options than the one proposed here. Besides which, the whole solitude thing kind of becomes irrelevant once you top out on Evans and encounter all the folks who drove up.
6) To OP: given what you're looking for, there are really no redeeming qualities to the plan suggested here; I would strongly suggest ignoring it.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Richard Derkase wrote:I have hiked this route twice.
So have I. However, 1) what you have shown is the S, not N, side of the creek, 2) It's still a much, much longer day compared with Bierstadt's standard route, and probably not one I'd recommend as a first-time 14er with a 4-y-o.

Anyway, the point isn't to bash you, but details like south versus north are important when giving suggestions!
Last edited by AlexeyD on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.