Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping near the Bierstadt trail

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camping near the Bierstadt trail

Postby TeamDino5280 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:14 pm

I wanted to get a last (easy) backpacking style camping trip in the next few weeks. I was thinking of hiking part way in to Bierstadt on the standard route and camping near 10,500 -11,500 feet, then trying to summit in the morning. In concept this sounds like an easy way to obtain my goal. Is this area ok for this ? is this frowned upon? any suggestions on another close to Denver overnight trip where I can avoid car camping?
"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Re: Camping near the Bierstadt trail

Postby hfd73 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:22 pm

That will be kinda hard to do since the TH elevation is 11,669'. I don't remember any good places to camp on the trail. There are a few good camping spots on the road to the pass, on the Grant side. I stayed at one around 10,500'. Has a stream nearby and everything. PM me if you would like GPS coords.

Postby Doctor No » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:02 pm

I don't know much about the Burning Bear campground, other than that was where I intended to start my Bierstadt/Sawtooth/Evans adventure a few weeks ago (before I screwed up my quad on Shavano :( ).

It's relatively close to Guanella Pass (on the Grant side), and if you decide to camp there, I would be on the lookout for burning bears (obviously).

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:06 pm

It's legal as long as you follow the usual rules (200 feet from water or trails). It's probably not the best area for it, though; there are no trees, just head-high willow bushes interspersed with mud in most places off-trail. There are some open grassy areas not far from the trailhead, but you'll probably be in full view of the legions of passing hikers early the next morning, all of whom will make sarcastic comments as they go by.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby pnolans » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:27 pm

You COULD hike in from the Abyss Lake Trail... and then follow the Rosalie Trail. (Turn left at the junction).

The Abyss Lake Trailhead is just next to the Burning Bear Campground.

That's not what you asked for, and I don't think it would be easier, but there's plenty of good camping spots along THAT trail.
And as Jim Davies says, follow the usual rules.

I've hiked along that trail, and it's very pleasant.

I could give a few more details if you're interested.

It's like this for a ways:

http://www.wanderinpat.com/Taz/AbyssLake/trail1.htm
"Hey Queen Isabella,
stay away from that fella
He'll just get you into trouble, you know"
Common Sense John Prine

Postby TeamDino5280 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:03 pm

Thanks for all of the Info! I figured that camping off of the trail would probably be a bust, the abyss trail seems like a good Idea I had looked into that and climbing the East ridge but my girlfriend is timid around exposure so i figured that could work for next summer :lol:

I will most likely look for one off of the pass road comming from the Grant side

THANKS!