Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Capitol Knife Edge - HELMET CAMERA

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

Capitol Knife Edge - HELMET CAMERA

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:44 am

I removed and re-added this thread because there were tons of external links being made from other locations on the net. Hopefully the new thread will reduce traffic... During an ascent on Capitol 8/18, I took helmet-cam footage going over and back on the ridge. Note: The cam uses an 8MM lens, so the exposure is slightly exaggerated.

Low-Bandwidth Internet Connection
Crossing the Knife Edge: (MPEG - 6MB | Windows Media File - 2MB)
Returning over the Knife Edge: (MPEG - 7MB | Windows Media File - 3MB)

High-Bandwidth Internet Connection
Crossing the Knife Edge: (MPEG - 22MB | Windows Media File - 25MB)
Returning over the Knife Edge: (MPEG - 28MB | Windows Media File - 30MB)

High-Bandwidth Internet Connection - 640x480 Video
These videos will only be out here for a short time.
Crossing the Knife Edge: (MPEG - 49MB)
Returning over the Knife Edge: (MPEG - 59MB)

The videos are the property of 14ers.com, please download for personal use only. Do not distribute them or post on any other web site. Thanks!
Last edited by BillMiddlebrook on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:35 am, edited 6 times in total.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Pic=1000 words; vieoo=1,000,000 words!

Postby Thunder Dan » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:55 am

This video is the best description of Capitol Peak's knife edge that I have ever seen anywhere. Great video shots, Bill!
The Journey IS the destination!

Postby KeithAM » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Great footage, Bill. I can almost feel the up-breeze as I watch. Mucho vertigo.
"What does it profit a man to gain the whole world but lose his very soul?"

Postby vr64ever » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:32 pm

WOW!! My stomach was churning just from watching this.

Postby summitseeker » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:13 pm

Awesome shots bill! Question: were you roped in at all, it didnt appear that way. I realize you have good moutaineering experience, but would it be prudent for me to cross without being tied up?

I have limited rock climbing experience but managed to cross the sawtooth to Evans without any issues. Longs was also relatively simple. Have spent some good time in the high country bagging peaks. Just curious...

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:34 pm

No rope for me, plus I was solo so it would have been a waste. I really enjoy that kind of scrambling and never felt the need to "scoot" across on my butt. I suppose if it was really windy I may have had to use that technique.

A rope line could help less experienced climbers cross when in a group but it's difficult for me to answer whether or not you should bring one. It depends on your capabilities and that of your partner(s). Generally, I would say that if a person has solid Class 3 or some Class 4 climbing experience in the mountains, Capitol shouldn't be too much of a problem and a rope is probably overkill.

Again, the film makes the exposure look worse than it is. But it still requires concentration, good weather, and solid nerves.

Postby summitseeker » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:47 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm typically a loner as well when it comes to climbing. Looking foward to this challenge! :D

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:57 pm

A great climb and camping near Capitol Lake is nothing short of spectacular. Good luck - Capitol won't let you down.

Site Administrator

640x480 Versions

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:57 am

I just added BIG 640x480 versions of the 2 videos.

The new links are at the start of this thread. These larger videos will probably only be out there for a few days. Feel free to download them and keep them for future use, but please don't distribute them or put them on another site.

Postby mhbare » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:06 am

Bill......What type of camera did you use for this video?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:49 am

For this video I used an 8MM 1/4" 560-line resolution Sony "bullet" lense in a small, weather-proof housing that mounts on the side of any helmet. I use a similar unit for backcountry skiing and have several lenses that I can put on the end of the bullet for a range of filming angles.

Through one cable the camera runs into my pack and connects to a small battery pack and to the A/V inputs on a Mini-DV camera. So, there is only one thin cord that runs out of my pack and up to the camera. When I'm ready to film I just plug in the battery and start recording on the camcorder through the A/V input. In winter, I clip a remote to the inside of my jacket so I can turn recording on and off without taking off my pack, etc.

Postby guitmo223 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:43 pm

summitseeker wrote:Awesome shots bill! Question: were you roped in at all, it didnt appear that way. I realize you have good moutaineering experience, but would it be prudent for me to cross without being tied up?

I have a difficult time understanding how someone would run a belay across that ridge. Unless you mean tying off to other climbers who will hopefully catch you if you fall. This technique turned disasterous on the first Matterhorn ascent.
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Next