Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

PLEASE, keep dogs out of the backcountry!

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: PLEASE, keep dogs out of the backcountry!

Postby wsharber » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:25 pm

I hiked Quandary this past winter and had the priviledge of hiking a ways with Horton. What an incredibly friendly dog. The hike would not have been the same without him.

I gotta say I love seeing dogs on the trail. They are for the most part just as happy as we are to be out there on the trail and they have just as much right as we do to be there. Sure there may be an unfriendly dog that you come across, but isn't that the same with people also??
"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."

- J.R.R. Tolkien

Postby Oman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:29 pm

abqben56 wrote:
England wrote:The comparision between children, and dogs in this forum is the most ridiculous thing I've every witnessed on this website!!!

I don't know, seems pretty apt to me. But, I have teenage boys.

I also have boys. I train them to seek out and irritate grumpy, humorless adults. They find more people than dogs.

Postby globreal » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:33 pm

Wowzer...

Since, I won't be able to hike/climb for the next 4-6 weeks after injuring my MCL (knee) climbing Capitol on Saturday, I originally thought I wouldn't be spending near as much time here on this site. Wrong! This thread is proof that 14ers.com is every bit recreational as well as informational!!

And, since we are being opinionating, speculating, and gyrating, I have a question for lindasmith....

Have you considered what a sizable dose of undeserved, unequivocal, "unconditional love," as that received from having a loyal dog by your side, just might do to help you be less-irritated and DOGMATIC?
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:35 pm

Not to contribute to this madness, but I think the same dog owners who don't clean up after their dogs are the ones who themselves left a few (ahem) "Soft Cairns" on the summits... I have seen human waste of the solid variety on the summits of several 14ers, flagged with the TP that they also did not "pack out". Not to mention I am pretty sure the Orange Peel I fished out Booth Creek from not from a dog, nor were the 100s of pistachio shells or random food wrappers along the trail. I don't think it was a dog who vandalized the plaque on Columbia Point either...

I guess my point (if such a thing is possible in this thread) is that there is no such thing as an irresponsible dog. Just irresponsible people.

Carry on....
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby argothor » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:43 pm

wsharber wrote:I gotta say I love seeing dogs on the trail. They are for the most part just as happy as we are to be out there on the trail and they have just as much right as we do to be there. Sure there may be an unfriendly dog that you come across, but isn't that the same with people also??

I love seeing dogs on the trail, and have yet run into one that was unfriendly, misbehaved perhaps, but always in a friendly way. Wish I could take my current dog out hiking with me, but even though he is a big, strong dog he just doesn't have the stamina to go the distance, and at 85 pounds he is far too heavy to carry :D

Postby dumbsocrates » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:43 pm

Retrospectively, I think she was just taking us for a ride... trying to get a rise out of us... pulling our leg.... so that we'd dwindle the Friday away typing meaningless posts, and then realize that it's all insignificant in the big scheme of things.... 'cause it's almost time to go home and prep for a hike up a 14er with our faithful, four-legged (or three-legged, as it may be), furry companion. She doesn't really believe what she says! NO! She'd be insensitive. No one can be that antagonistic on Friday! Not towards cute pattable aminals ;) And now it's almost 3pm, and I haven't done my homework, and, what's worse, I still don't know what I'm climbing tomorrow :(

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:49 pm

drodriguez wrote:
lindasmith wrote:Dogs in the backcountry, and on 14ers, are a nuisance. They chase the wildlife, make too much noise, sh*t all over, and insist on pushing their nose into my groin or licking my kids with their slobber. Please, please keep your dogs at home! You really can be alone, for a few hours, without your stupid pets!

Linda

My boxer is cleaner than your kids.

My boxers were cleaner than her kids too... until I climbed the Knife Edge on Capitol. :shock: :oops:

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:51 pm

Chris Gerber wrote:
My boxer is cleaner than your kids.

My boxers were cleaner than her kids too... until I climbed the Knife Edge on Capitol. :shock: :oops:[/quote]

And I always figured you for a commando guy, Gerber.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby speedpolka » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:02 pm

I guess my point (if such a thing is possible in this thread) is that there is no such thing as an irresponsible dog. Just irresponsible people.

+1

I do not mind seeing dogs on the trail as long as they are well behaved. I find few things as annoying though as a dog sticking its nose into my face while I try to each lunch. 1st time is a polite move along, 2nd time is a swat on the nose, there had better not be a third time.
Subduction leads to Orogeny.

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:03 pm

England wrote:
FCSquid wrote:... and freeking hilarious at the same time. Keep it up people! Happy hour's only 2 hours away ...

+1
J-RockandRockpile wrote:Dude, lighten up . . . guess thats applicable to everyone

+1 Yeah your right. That just got me a little excited.

Excited like a dog on a 14er, Excited?
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:05 pm

cheeseburglar wrote:And I always figured you for a commando guy, Gerber.

Naw... I'm more of a sequined thong type of guy. :lol:

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:10 pm

Chris Gerber wrote:
cheeseburglar wrote:And I always figured you for a commando guy, Gerber.

Naw... I'm more of a sequined thong type of guy. :lol:

Is that so your under briches don't ride up, while your out there runnin'?
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

PreviousNext