Quandary Dog

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jobu0683
Trip Reports (0)

Quandary Dog

Post by jobu0683 »

Greetings all,

I hiked Quandary yesterday with my son. He's 7, it was his first 14er. Congrats to the folks getting married at the top if you're reading this.

Our question was does anyone know anything about "Quandary Dog", the lab that has that name on his tag and apparently spends his days on various parts of the East Ridge trail? He/she (I didn't check) was very friendly, easily befriending all two and four legged hikers that he happened upon. It looks like he lives at the house at the corner of Blue Lakes and McCullough Gulch. Just curious.

Thanks
wasclywabbit
14ers: 33  3 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Quandary Dog

Post by wasclywabbit »

That's Horton, he's a 14er legend. You can find him on the peak just about every day of the year.
Ad alta per aspera: To the summit through difficulties.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

I've never had the pleasure of meeting Horton, did Quandary before his time. Will have to go back and see if I can meet the little guy.

This has some good info on him and a video:
http://www.zootoo.com/petnews/highaltit ... bingdo-825" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

I remember meeting Horton. I was just about treeline in the late fall and I see something out of the corner of my eye start running towards me. The first thing that came to mind was a mountain lion but I immediatly saw it was just a friendly dog.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
davidmarginian
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by davidmarginian »

Great to see he is still around. I did Quandary over 3 years ago. He followed us all the way to the top and even took a break with us at my truck after the hike. When we pulled off he ran next to the truck for several hundred yards (I was wondering if he was going to follow us home!).
cftbq
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (32)

Post by cftbq »

By heading up from the TH about 1 in the morning, we were lucky enough to have Horton accompany us virtually all the way to the top, and even got him in some of our summit pictures. He's cool.
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.
Peak Fitness
14ers: 54 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peak Fitness »

Horton is the coolest dog. My brother and I had the honor of hiking with Horton when we did Quandary back in '05. At the time, we had no idea who he was. We just thought he was some lost dog at first. He left us at one point on the way up but on the way down, we ran into him again. Only this time, he had a dead marmot in his mouth. I'm not even kidding. Many other people were up there that day that also probably saw this. It was early July of '05.
hfd73
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by hfd73 »

My wife and I met Horton at his owners shop in Breckenridge. We had actually climbed Quandary that morning and had been looking for him, he wasn't on the mtn that day. What a surprise to see him in town.
Joonya
14ers: 11  7 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Joonya »

I've met Horton too - 2 times definately , 3 maybe - hard to tell if memories are blurring together or not. I saw him was last May. I have enjoyed his company every time - except last time. I was being greeted at the summit by a group of goats , and I did find them to be more suitable for an alpine setting than an unleashed domesticated pet; so when Horton chased them away - I was quite disappointed with his company. I posted pics and wrote about it here last spring. I know people love him , And I do too - but , "unleashed pet"...............I'm just sayin'.........................

-JC

There he is now............... Good Dog.
harrise
14ers: 12 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (4)

Post by harrise »

Indeed, "unleashed pet".