Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Multiple 14ers in One Day

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Multiple 14ers in One Day

Postby steelfrog » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:11 am

Greetings. I've done some climbing in Colorado, but mostly in California and Texas. I have a question about groups of 14ers that can be hiked in one day. I have identified:

Democrat/Cameron/Lincoln/Bross

Grays/Torreys

Belfort/Oxford

Bierstadt/Evan

The Blanca Group (Blanca, Little Bear and ___________?)

Questions:

What others am I missing that are reasonable multi-summits in one day?

Are any of these mentioned unreasonable in a day?

Best time of year on average to minimize weather washout? (late August?)

Many Thanks!

Re: Multiple 14ers in One Day

Postby steelfrog » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:04 am

OK--with a little more research i think i answered one of my own questions:

* Grays, Torreys
* Bierstadt, Evans
* Democrat, Lincoln, Bross
* Missouri, Belford, Oxford
* Harvard, Columbia
* Maroon, North Maroon
* Shavano, Tabeguache
* Kit Carson, Challenger
* Crestone Peak, Crestone Needle
* Blanca, Ellingwood, Little Bear
* Redcloud, Sunshine
* Eolus, Sunlight, and Windom
* Mt. Wilson, Wilson Peak, El Diente

Again--how do-able are some of these as a hike? Crestones, no. Sunlight, No.

Postby TravelingMatt » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:44 am

Also Uncompahgre/Wetterhorn. One of the tougher twofers, but probably a bit easier than Harvard/Columbia for example. It is not unheard of to knock off Handies in the same day as Redcloud and/or Sunshine, but at the very least you have to go back to your vehicle.

A couple of those you listed aren't dayhikes, mind you.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby steelfrog » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:27 am

OK, now we're getting somewhere. So, could you all help me with the nearest city to the trailheads for the following hikes?

Grays, Torreys (Front Range)
Bierstadt, Evans (Front Range)
Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, Bross (Mosquito)
Missouri, Belford, Oxford (Sawatch)
Harvard, Columbia (Sawatch)
Shavano, Tabeguache (Sawatch)
Kit Carson, Challenger (Sangre de Christo)
Blanca, Ellingwood, Little Bear (Sangre de Christo)
Redcloud, Sunshine (San Juan)
Mt. Wilson, Wilson Peak, El Diente (San Juan)
Uncompaghre, Wetterhorn (San Juan)

Also, info about these as a day hike would be helpful.

Many Thanks!

Postby mattpayne11 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:39 am

All of that data is available on the 14ers.com menu above - just look around a little.

Postby jf32 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:56 am

here's some input from my experience with some of these combinations
* means i've done these peaks (or part of em) as a combo

*Grays, Torreys (Front Range) - left from boulder at 4am ish and back same day - denver is closer - georgetown = real close by
*Bierstadt, Evans (Front Range) - left from Boulder at 4 ish and back same day - denver is closer - georgetown = real close by
*Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, Bross (Mosquito) - camped outside Breckenridge the night before and finished the day by camping high on Quandary for a sunrise summit the next day
*Missouri, Belford, Oxford (Sawatch) - I did Belford and Oxford one day and returned to do Missouri - I did them early in the season and held off on Missouri because snow conditions made the 1st two much longer than I planned - under better conditions you can grab all 3 in a day - these guys are fairly equidistant from Buena Vista and Leadville - close (driving distance) to approaches on Huron and La Plata
*Harvard, Columbia (Sawatch) - this was a long day - left boulder real early (2ish maybe) and returned same night - closest town was buena vista
*Shavano, Tabeguache (Sawatch) - i camped out at the th the night before - relatively short day (got to glissade down a large % of the descent)
Kit Carson, Challenger (Sangre de Christo) - from what i've read willow lake = best approach
*Blanca, Ellingwood, Little Bear (Sangre de Christo) - I did Little Bear on one trip and blanca and ellingwood on a second. I spent a total of 4 days to get these three done as I camped at lake como both times (after the 5 mile ascent of lake como road) Doing these three in a day is possible if you're fit enough to handle the distance of the road and skilled enough to navigate the ridge traverses (i'm not there just yet) and move fast. I'm guessing most people don't fit that category though. I would recommend getting all 3 done on 1 trip to avoid having to hike that road a 2nd time.
Redcloud, Sunshine (San Juan) - from what i've read it's possible to get handies done as well if you're really moving
Mt. Wilson, Wilson Peak, El Diente (San Juan) - haven't looked into these guys too much
Uncompaghre, Wetterhorn (San Juan) - from what i've read - this is doable but a long day (most of these trips are)

also the crestones - i plan on trying to get both of em in one day (not doing the traverse). The game plan is to nab the peak first and then on the way back to south colony lakes when i get to broken hand pass evaluate my knees and the weather to see if the needle is possible.
When you come to a fork in the road take it

Postby Rich H » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:56 am

There was a dude who knocked off Eolus, Windom, Sunlight, Wilson Peak & Mountain, El Diente, and Sneffels in a day.

I also know of one and maybe a couple of others that have knocked off 14 of the Sawatch 14ers in 60 hours.

And there are those on here that have done the 5 peaks around Crestone in a day.

Postby Tommy Dorr » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:02 pm

Interesting question??? What is the criteria of each of these climbs? Are you adhering to the 3000ft guideline? Just wondering... makes answering the question a bit easier. If not, then you could do Pikes and Evans in the same day. :wink:

Ricky Denesik did the "54 list" in 14 days, 16 min. and gained at least 3000ft on each one.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Anything is possible... like all 58 14ers in "10 days, 20 hours, 26 minutes"

http://www.thedogteam.com/14ers-Web_Pages/Colorado_Fourteeners/14ers-index-frame.html

I've done El Diente and Mt Wilson in one long 18hr day in difficult conditions. All 3 is possible, under good conditions, but it will be a long day for the mere mortal ;)

Most of the Class 1 & 2 14er combo's are very doable. Once you add in Class 3&4 traverses etc, it can lengthen the day greatly.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby Oman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:09 pm

There was a guy who thought the Snowmass-to-Capitol traverse was too easy for just one day, so he added Huron Peak in the late afternoon just to wind down and relax. Of course, he did his own basic research, too.

Postby [+] » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Grays, Torreys (Front) - easy class 2, Georgetown
Bierstadt, Evans (Front) - class 3, Idaho Springs
Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, Bross (Mosquito) - easy class 2, Alma
Belford, Oxford (Sawatch) - class 2, Leadville
Belford, Oxford, Missouri (Sawatch) - long day hike, difficult class 2, Leadville
Harvard, Columbia (Sawatch) - class 2, Buena Vista
Shavano, Tabeguache (Sawatch) - class 2, Poncha Springs
Kit Carson, Challenger (Sangre de Christo) - realllly long day hike (better to camp at Willow Lake), class 3, Crestone
Blanca, Ellingwood (Sangre de Cristo) - another realllly long day hike (better to camp at Lake Como), class 3, Alamosa
Little Bear, Blanca (Sangre de Cristo) - ditto, class 4, Alamosa
Little Bear, Blanca, Ellingwood (Sangre de Cristo) - OK that's just masochistic, class 4, Alamosa
Redcloud, Sunshine (San Juan) - easy class 2, Lake City
Mt. Wilson, El Diente (San Juan) - yet another realllly long day hike (better to camp in Navajo Basin), class 4, Telluride
Uncompaghre, Wetterhorn (San Juan) - long day hike, class 3, Lake City
*add: Castle, Conundrum (Elk) - difficult class 2, Aspen
*add: Maroon, N. Maroon (Elk) - long day hike, class 4, Aspen
*add: Crestone Peak, Crestone Needle (Sangre de Cristo) - long day hike, class 4, Westcliffe

Notes:
The Mt. Wilson/El Diente traverse is hard enough without adding in Wilson Peak.
Eolus and North Eolus can easily be done on the same day, but these require an overnight in Chicago Basin.

Hope that helps!
Last edited by [+] on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby steelfrog » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:57 pm

Awesome information. Thanks a BUNCH!

Next