Dog on Lindsey

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Re: Dog on Lindsey

Post by mattpayne11 »

Hey Micah did you see this?

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

mattpayne11 wrote:Hey Micah did you see this?

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's what made me think I could bring him. They had a dog up there. Someone in their comments also found a creek crossing and kept dry feet. I bet the amount of snow hasn't changed too durastically in a week. Well, I thought Jean Roy was climbing it on Sun with us but he will be up there Sat and is supposed to try and get us some beta on that hopefully before we take off. I have to check with my buddy too to see if he wants the class 4 route anyhow. If not, I bet with the amt of snow that the N. Couloir that Peak Fitness mentioned might be a good bet.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
pkpzp228
14ers: 40  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by pkpzp228 »

I'm a little confused about whether people are calling the north face route and the north coulior different things (whether they are or not), in any case here a shot of the North face from last Sun. 6/21

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30886436@N ... 142033455/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I took the ridge route up and coulior down and strongly disagree with the SP comment made about climbing the coulior in only dry conditions, in fact I'd rather downclimb the class 4 ridge then descent the coulior when there isn't snow in it.

Get an early start if you're goona be in the coulior, the was quite stable in the morning but there is sketchy traverse that has some evidence of a wet slide - just barely visible at the bottom of the pic.
-- climb on --

http://verticalcompulsion.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peak Fitness
14ers: 54 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peak Fitness »

That is a great shot of the North Face gully route. The North Couloir is out of the picture behind the ridge on the left. From the saddle between Lindsey and the Iron Nipple, you have to descend a bit and then traverse around those lower cliffs on the left of the picture. It never gets above Class 2. Like I said, it's a bit out of the way to reach about 1/3 or so up the couloir but much more appealing for you and your dog than that shot of the gully there.
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

This is all great information guys!!! I was having the same struggle in deciding whether to take my dog on the 14th. I figure that will be best so there will not be as many people there is I was going to try it with here. I am leaning towards not taking her, but I will think about it more.

Micah,
If you wouldn't mind reporting back with both your decision and opinion after the climb I would really appreciate it!!!
mountainmicah83
Trip Reports (24)

cbauer10 wrote:This is all great information guys!!! I was having the same struggle in deciding whether to take my dog on the 14th. I figure that will be best so there will not be as many people there is I was going to try it with here. I am leaning towards not taking her, but I will think about it more.

Micah,
If you wouldn't mind reporting back with both your decision and opinion after the climb I would really appreciate it!!!

will do.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

So this was last saturday and yes that was my dog and I up there. The snow conditions were crap but still ok to climb in. As for the dog, mine made it just fine and she probably did the entire route twice ( climbing up, coming back to me, climbing up ect ect). My advice, be the first up the couloir in the morning and on descent make sure the entire route is clear before descending with you dog so you don't knock anything on other climbers. Again my dog was fine. Have fun.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
mountainmicah83
Trip Reports (24)

EatinHardtack wrote:

So this was last saturday and yes that was my dog and I up there. The snow conditions were crap but still ok to climb in. As for the dog, mine made it just fine and she probably did the entire route twice ( climbing up, coming back to me, climbing up ect ect). My advice, be the first up the couloir in the morning and on descent make sure the entire route is clear before descending with you dog so you don't knock anything on other climbers. Again my dog was fine. Have fun.
Thanks for chiming in. If you are avail Jul 11-12, some of us will be doing as many of the following 5 as possible. Crestones, humboldt, KC, Challenger...

No dogs on that trip fo sho...

cbauer10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

mountainmicah83 wrote:Thanks for chiming in. If you are avail Jul 11-12, some of us will be doing as many of the following 5 as possible. Crestones, humboldt, KC, Challenger...

No dogs on that trip fo sho...
Just as a side comment I have done all five of these mountains, three with my dog and two without. I left her home for the Crestones for obvious reasons. I will say with the exception of the transfer to between the gullys on Crestone Peak where I would have had to carry her up a class 4 move, she could have made the summit of Credtone Peak. I would not take her on the Needle.

I would not hesitate to take her on the other three again. They were no problem for her. That being said, Challenger's headwall was the hardest thing she gas done, but she did fine.

I know you didn't ask, but I thought you might like the information.
cbauer10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

mountainmicah83 wrote:
cbauer10 wrote:This is all great information guys!!! I was having the same struggle in deciding whether to take my dog on the 14th. I figure that will be best so there will not be as many people there is I was going to try it with here. I am leaning towards not taking her, but I will think about it more.

Micah,
will do.
Any update? How did the weekend turn out?
mountainmicah83
Trip Reports (24)

Summitted Lindsey on Sunday. Decided not to take the dog. Good decision. The class 4 ridge route that I climbed definitely wouldn't have worked, and other hikers said the North Face couloir snow was trash and it was not a good time. I imagine the North Couloir wasn't much different and it seemed too far out of the way anyhow. I decided not to bring the dog so as not to risk his safety and not to risk me not summiting because of him. He will stick to class 2's and some class 3's.

cbauer10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

mountainmicah83 wrote:Summitted Lindsey on Sunday. Decided not to take the dog. Good decision. The class 4 ridge route that I climbed definitely wouldn't have worked, and other hikers said the North Face couloir snow was trash and it was not a good time. I imagine the North Couloir wasn't much different and it seemed too far out of the way anyhow. I decided not to bring the dog so as not to risk his safety and not to risk me not summiting because of him. He will stick to class 2's and some class 3's.
Thank you for the info. I think I will leave the pup at home too.