Dog on Lindsey

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Dog on Lindsey

Post by mountainmicah83 »

I have a dog that is capable of most class 3 terrain. Will he be fine on lindsey this weekend?
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Dog on Lindsey

Post by highpilgrim »

The standard route, class 2+ is steeper and looser than you might expect. The dog will make it but you'll have to be concerned about rockfall and other climbers.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Samajax
14ers: 55 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Samajax »

Ridge or up the gully...?

My memory of the ridge is you might have to do some lifting past some closer to high 3-4 climbing.
'
If it's up the gullies, man, that's some pretty awful scree at times, better bring the booties.

Just my 2 cents worth......
Flood
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Flood »

I've seen a dog do lindsey. Must watch for rocks in the gully and there is some lifting towards the top of the gully. Come to think of it , the peanut butter snorting hippies we met knocked more rocks down than the dog did. Sandals and toe socks FTW. :shock:
Remember, Only you can prevent Forum Fires.
mountainmicah83
Trip Reports (24)

I don't know how much I want to lift a 70 lb dog.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

LOL Micah - my gut tells me leave the dog at home - Lindsey's two standard routes (the ridge REALLY should be the standard route due to safety and loose rock in the couliour) have some nasty spots that would be challenging for a dog and may also jeopardize the safety of other climbers. Just my 2 cents.
brikowags
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brikowags »

I took my dog (Jonesy) on the gully route on Labor Day weekend a few years ago. Luckily, we only saw a few other people- he created a few dangerous rock slides that would have been a problem if other people were climbing with us. I recommend wearing a helmet. Jonesy sometimes gets scared on class 3 routes but I think he didn't like the gully because it was loose and tearing up his feet so I put his hiking boots on him. He made it up ok, but it was not a pleasant hike to the summit. I recommend the ridge route. I now limit his hikes to class 2 for the safety of both my dog and other climbers.
Peak Fitness
14ers: 54 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peak Fitness »

Check out the conditions first but you should consider doing the north couloir. I did that route this time last year and it was fun. If you go early enough, your dog will have no problem on the snow. It is a bit out of the way to get a little above the apron but it is a good snow climb.
Dorje1018
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dorje1018 »

The sections of exposed rock in the lower reaches of the couloir are extremely loose right now, stepping on the scree/mud combination causes the slope to slide. It is not very safe for you, your dog, and those climbing below you. It is not reasonable to take a dog on the traverse of the north face with current snow conditions.
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

RE: North Couliour: From Summitpost.org:

People have fallen and died in this couloir, which is very steep and the rock is perilously unstable.

He fell 200 feet, bouncing all the way down the couloir, and he lived. His wife, who elected not to go any further and wait for him, saw the end of the fall. He was lucky. Two other folks on the mountain were a nurse and doctor. He ended up with over twenty stiches in his head, (metal staples), but had no broken bones. He was reported as in a "concusive state." Could have been much worse.

This couloir is a mess and claims many people as victims. It should not be attempted in any condition but dry, and only then with much care, experience and leaning to the right side where more stable rock along a cliff is available.

It may be wise for us at SP to stress the danger of the couloir and that the alternae route might be a better choice, since it is on more stable rock. This route does exceed Class 3 and 4 in difficulty, which would make Lindsey even more appropriate as a 14er to be saved toward the end of one's 14er bagging endeavor, when experience has been mustered to climb this ridge.
Peak Fitness
14ers: 54 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peak Fitness »

I believe that these last two posts are a bit confused with what the north couloir is. The north couloir and the north face route are completely different. Check out a map of the mountain. The couloir is east of the north face route and gives you a direct snow climb to the summit. It is not steep at all... never exceeds 40-45 degrees.
mountainmicah83
Trip Reports (24)

mattpayne11 wrote:RE: North Couliour: From Summitpost.org:

People have fallen and died in this couloir, which is very steep and the rock is perilously unstable.

He fell 200 feet, bouncing all the way down the couloir, and he lived. His wife, who elected not to go any further and wait for him, saw the end of the fall. He was lucky. Two other folks on the mountain were a nurse and doctor. He ended up with over twenty stiches in his head, (metal staples), but had no broken bones. He was reported as in a "concusive state." Could have been much worse.

This couloir is a mess and claims many people as victims. It should not be attempted in any condition but dry, and only then with much care, experience and leaning to the right side where more stable rock along a cliff is available.

It may be wise for us at SP to stress the danger of the couloir and that the alternae route might be a better choice, since it is on more stable rock. This route does exceed Class 3 and 4 in difficulty, which would make Lindsey even more appropriate as a 14er to be saved toward the end of one's 14er bagging endeavor, when experience has been mustered to climb this ridge.
I saw that also on there. The ridge is looking pretty good to me (Without a dog) but I hate not bringing him if he is capable. Does any one have any recent pics of Lindsey's North Couloir?