Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Kit Carson

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Kit Carson

Postby flatlander88 » Thu May 28, 2009 3:43 pm

I and a friend of mine are planning a trip to summit Challenger Point and Kit Carson. The trip is planned for the last weekend in June and I am wondering about how much snow is going to be present by then. Do you think that most of the snow will be gone to allow us an attempt to summit? I have looked at the trip reports but I have no idea what is too much snow without the use of crampons or ice axes. I also have a question concerning the route to Challenger point, is the route hard route to follow? Any information about this hike would be appreciated. I am new to the 14ers but I did summit Longs last summer. I guess you could say I am excited about starting another year of 14ers.
Thank you
Flatlander88

Re: Kit Carson

Postby JoeyJ » Thu May 28, 2009 4:24 pm

Snow levels vary each year- it's better to ask closer to the time you're going- within a few days.

Keep an eye on trip reports here and KC/Challenger will prob get posted near the time you want to go. Take the route description from this site with you- and use common sense and you'll be fine up challenger. It's a haul, with loose rock/dirt so careful as you can slip and slide in the jumble. If you make it and go on to KC, make SURE you watch your exit point off the avenue for your return- and take mental notes going up. There are several gullies and it's easy to get in one that doesn't hit the avenue if you're not paying attention. I did that, and several folks have missed this point and over descend which can put you in a bad spot.

Welcome aboard- Willow lake is a magical place you will enjoy!!
"Material possessions, winning scores, and great reputations are meaningless in the eyes of the Lord, because He knows what we really are and that is all that matters."
John Wooden

Postby mattpayne11 » Fri May 29, 2009 5:48 am

This is a somewhat useful website to gauge snow levels as well.

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Snow/snow/watershed/daily/co_update_snow.pdf

Postby dubsho3000 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:32 am

Also remember that last year was a huge snow year (I'm not positive that's true for the Sangres) and this year is far below average for the remaining snowpack. So you could start looking at trip reports from early July 2008 to get a rough idea of what the conditions will be like. Then as you get closer to the hike hopefully people will post more current conditions.

I did it 4th of July last year and crossed a handful of snow fields on Challenger's north (?) face. I would guess it would be similar to that in late June this year. Just a guess. We didn't use or want snowshoes.

Matt

Postby flatlander88 » Fri May 29, 2009 7:53 am

Thanks for the help.

Postby MtHurd » Fri May 29, 2009 8:21 am

Snow shouldn't be a problem at all. The route is fairly easy to follow to Challenger. I'll be climbing Kit by a different route probably a day or two before you do. Kit is a great Colorado 14er. It'll be my 3rd ascent and 3rd route on Kit. If you are comfortable on class 3+, go on and climb Columbia Pt. after you climb Kit. The route to Columbia Pt. is fun, but might be intimidating for a newbie. I may be in cell phone range on Friday. You're welcome to call me about conditions if you want. I think we are scheduled to do the climb on Thursday weather permitting.