Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Longs Lightning Bailout Question

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Longs Lightning Bailout Question

Postby fourseasonhiker » Wed May 27, 2009 3:15 pm

I agree. I was on the trail by 2:25am, on the summit at 10:05. No storms were brewing, so I sat up there for 45 minutes.
FourSeasonHiker

Postby viejo » Wed May 27, 2009 3:33 pm

All the suggestions of early starts and getting weather forecasts are excellent advice. And if you diligently follow that advice, if you're out enough, you might still eventually find yourself above treeline with a storm around.

So as folks said, keep a diligent eye out on the building patterns. Try not to be in the most exposed areas when things finally hit.

Places you might escape on Longs would depend on where you're at and how imminent the boomers are. If somehow it hit the fan when I was at the summit (which I think was you're original question) I'd get off the summit plateau ASAP. If things were close, I'd probably head towards the Keplingers/Loft route and make myself small near the gully below the notch until things let up, then head back via the Loft.

In the trough, I might choose to continue down to Glacier Gorge. You could either take the long haul back up Granite Pass or over Storm Pass, or just try to hitch back from Glacier Gorge Lot.

It would really depend on where you're at and how bad it is. Along with all the other good advice, I think it's good that you're thinking of possible escape routes knowing that sometimes when we follow a general rule of thumb, we might find our thumb in our hinder end.

Postby Steve Climber » Thu May 28, 2009 11:47 am

You can pretty much guarantee that during summer months, storms will roll in around noon to 2:00pm...I have found that you can almost set your watch to them. The key is getting up there as early as you can, to get back down below treeline before the lightning comes in.

A few summers ago, I took some visiting friends up Long's...we left the summit about 11:00am with clear skies...I told them we would get some rain by the time we got back to our car...none believed me, but sure enough, 1:30pm AS WE OPENED THE TRUNK to start packing up, the first drops hit us. And its been that way every single time I have ever been up there.

As far as escape goes, off Keplinger's would be my choice if I couldn't get down N. Face (no rope)...The Loft might take a bit longer to get to, but would make for good desent...If I were already heading down and it was BAD, I would beeline straight down The Trough instead of following profile to Keyhole.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby highpilgrim » Thu May 28, 2009 12:26 pm

lanternerouge08 Might need to learn how to make a rope from marmot fur and tundra grasses too.....unless you just happen to carry a rope everywhere you go.

You might be a better climber than me...we generally carry a light rope/rack on the harder mountains just to give us options. And consider alternative routes down before heading up. Helps when you're in a hurry, or make a wrong turn which sometimes happens. Or when you get caught by a fast moving storm. You probably don't need to worry about any of that as fast as you are but I'm old and slow.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby Steve Climber » Thu May 28, 2009 2:10 pm

All you have to do is hike in a wing-suit, then BASE jump East face down to Chasm...if you catch a nice updraft, you could probably make it to Peacock Pond...just don't overshoot it or you'll end up in the privy :lol:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Previous