Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Google Chrome Main Page

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Google Chrome Main Page

Postby fleetmack » Wed May 27, 2009 8:52 am

Not a big deal, but figured I'd post it in case others have this issue. I'm fed up with FireFox since the latest release as it crashes about 70 times per day, so I've switched to Google Chrome (if only they'd just get a nice RSS aggregator it'd be nice!)

Anyways, Chrome sporatically doesn't hold the display settings of the main page. Sometimes it does, other times it doesn't (large pictures, number of posts, etc.) I've only begun using chrome and haven't personally done any web development stuff with it yet, so I'm not even sure where to start.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Re: Google Chrome Main Page

Postby dsunwall » Wed May 27, 2009 9:11 am

I've been using Chrome since it came out, I haven't noticed any problems, but then I'm not a developer so I may not see everything. I do find it odd that all the great google add ons they have for IE are not available in Chrome, unless I've missed something there also.

Postby aHudge » Wed May 27, 2009 9:15 am

I also use Chrome and haven't noticed any problems.... but then again I don't know anything about computers, so maybe what's going on is completely over my head.

Postby headeulogy » Wed May 27, 2009 9:24 am

I d/led chrome and thought it was great and super fast. Then it just slowed down on me, and I had to go back to FF.

Postby TI83plus » Wed May 27, 2009 9:56 am

headeulogy wrote:I d/led chrome and thought it was great and super fast. Then it just slowed down on me, and I had to go back to FF.

+1

Along with what others have been saying, Chrome just lacks consistency. It seemed to work about 99% of the time, but then would be unable to load something, or the formatting would be off. A lot of that could be the way that some sites are set up (not an expert here, just guessing). I could live with that if that was the only weird glitch it had, because it did manage to load sites much faster than FF or IE (IE - cold shiver... :cussing: ). The deal breaker was what couldn't seem to load under any circumstance. For instance, I couldn't get the 14ers personal peak lists to come up. It had a successful load rate of about 2%. Other things like my online banking and the like eventually led me back to FF. I hope they get it together some day as I really did like Chrome otherwise. #-o
"I said, 'Do you love me?' and she said, 'No, but that's a really nice ski mask.'" - Lloyd Christmas

Postby fleetmack » Wed May 27, 2009 10:32 am

i've intentionally closed and opened this browser and returned to this site about 20 times since my post just trying to reproduce the pattern to try to figure out why/when it was occurring, but the problem since hasn't returned. Maybe chrome just needed some adjustment time for me :) I think my issue can likely be ignored. FYI - I've checked the personal peaks and that seems to work fine (for now! [-o< )
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby Oman » Wed May 27, 2009 10:53 am

I've had the same issue with Chrome, though I usually can't tell the difference until I've gone a short time on this forum without seeing rustic. (Chrome occasionally reverts my display settings back to default for this site, which means no automatic display of Off Route threads, which means no rustic, and a day without rustic is like a day without sunshine.) No big deal to go back and restore my display settings.

I'm no techie, but my experience is that Chrome is much faster and more bombproof than IE and much faster than Firefox.

Postby dsunwall » Wed May 27, 2009 10:59 am

I've only gone to my personal check list once a looong time ago. I just went there with Chrome, I had a blank page, went out and back in, everything showed.

Postby Kevin8020 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:18 am

This is a rather off-topic recommendation, but firefox 3.5 beta is more stable than 3.0 already. I haven't had a crash yet (and if I do, it's usually caused by an add-on)
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. --Proverbs 3:5-6

Postby unclegar » Wed May 27, 2009 5:36 pm

I have been using Chrome for quite some time now and am pretty happy with it. I do believe it is quicker than the competition. I noticed the peak lists not showing up a while back and brought it up to Bill in his "how to improve the site" thread. He said he had noticed this too. I did just go down the list of all the posters on this thread and every one of the peak lists showed up correctly the first time so maybe something has improved there.

The only other issue I have is when trying to use Concrete5 (opensource) to edit my webpage. I end up using ie for edits because it seems to get the edits done. I do believe Concrete5 has issues though.

I haven't noticed the 14ers site preferences changing except when I'm at work. I typically clear all cookies, etc. frequently at work but at home I do not and I believe the preferences stay at home.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby Jim Davies » Wed May 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Kevin8020 wrote:This is a rather off-topic recommendation, but firefox 3.5 beta is more stable than 3.0 already.

Funny, I've been using 3.0 for a while and haven't experienced a single crash. I'm using several extensions and plugins (adblock, noscript, pdf download, etc.) without any particular problems. I guess I'm just lucky...this wouldn't be on Vista, would it? (I use XP and Windows Server 2003 on various machines).
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby unclegar » Thu May 28, 2009 9:52 am

I also use FF3 and can't recall any crashes either. Also I am using Vista. Initially when I got Vista, I had a few crashes but after a few updates I haven't had an issue and I've been using it almost 2 years.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz