Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Maroon Bells

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Maroon Bells

Postby GeneralBenson » Tue May 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Some friends and I were thinking of attempting the maroon bells this thursday and friday. Has anyone been up there lately that could give us some insight on the current conditions? Is it typically still very technical this time of year? Thanks!

Re: Maroon Bells

Postby mattpayne11 » Tue May 26, 2009 3:29 pm

One would have to think that this weather that has the state socked in would have deposited quite a bit of snow on the bells, making them even more difficult than normal; however, I'm not sure since I've not been in the area lately.

Postby Carl » Tue May 26, 2009 3:34 pm

GeneralBenson wrote:Is it typically still very technical this time of year? Thanks!

If by technical you mean an axe and probably crampons, yes. I was planning on skiing North Maroon this (past) weekend but called it off due to weather. Let us know what you find if you go.

Postby GeneralBenson » Tue May 26, 2009 3:48 pm

Yes, it would seem that the bells would be getting some new snow. I wonder if there has been any activity. I wish the CAIC was still doing full reports. They stop so early, and this year has been nuts.

Postby Jcwhite » Tue May 26, 2009 4:24 pm

I am sure there is still a fair bit of snow up there. I have skied both of them at the end of May before (North was in june) So the answer is yes, they would be ranked as technical with probably mixed climbing on both standard routes. If you want to do a snow route, let me know and I can make a couple recommendations for both.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby BAUMGARA » Tue May 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Check out the most recent trip reports for a pretty good assessment of current conditions. I'm sure some snow melted off the exposed faces and more sure that snow still fills the couloirs. My next attempt at Maroon Peak via the Bell Cord is going to be mid june with a normal route descent.

Postby bckcntryskr » Tue May 26, 2009 9:33 pm

Taken 17 May 2009
route.jpg
route.jpg (93.99 KiB) Viewed 512 times

If you attempt this route, you should leave Crater Lake between 0300-0400. The route is technically challenging requiring crampons and axe, rope and pro is not necassary. It is also prone to lots of rock fall as the sun heats up and wet slides abound in the later hours. Good luck
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"