Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Missouri north face couloirs

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Missouri north face couloirs

Postby realhillboarding » Mon May 25, 2009 11:18 am

Are the couloirs still in? Does anyone have pictures? I want to climb and snowboard them and the pictures in the latest trip report look good, but the latest TR is from 5/15 and it mentions that the snow is melting fast.
thanks
-adam

Re: Missouri north face couloirs

Postby killingcokes » Mon May 25, 2009 11:25 am

I went up Massive for a ski yesterday. The snow was absolutely mank on the SW Face. I kicked off a pretty large wet slide while skiing. The new snow is about 4 inches and the moisture content is about 50%. This new snow doesn't seem to be bonding well to the old dirty snow.

There is no freeze in the forecast. I'm not skiing again until it freezes.

I had planned to do Harvard today, but I really don't like the quality of the snow we have right now
Last edited by killingcokes on Mon May 25, 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon May 25, 2009 11:43 am

Good plan! The rain has been crazy and there's plenty of danger out there now.

I too am waiting for some a string of solid overnight freezing.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby ScottN » Mon May 25, 2009 12:32 pm

+1 on the no-freeze. Went up for a run at Emperor on Torreys today. I hoped for a freeze, but only got the top two inches frozen with sugar underneath. Once we hit anything remotely steep, knee deep postholing began and it was time to head back to the car.

Postby EatinHardtack » Mon May 25, 2009 12:44 pm

To echo everyone else , wait for a good freeze before you go up.

I was up that area Saturday and had planned on Missouri also but bailed when the weather was still crap and no one else was going that way. I instead did Belford solo and felt better doing that. There was no hard freeze on Friday night as the snow on Belford was soft and postholed to the ground. I will say that the couliors on Missouri looked great and still had ample coverage, what I could see at times. There was a slide in the center of one of the couliors but it was small and did not slide to the bottom of the basin. The area also got 3-6 inches on Friday night and was still snowing after I was out of there. Hope this helps.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby realhillboarding » Mon May 25, 2009 1:11 pm

roger on the freeze, when i checked the weather last night it looked like it was might clear up tues-thurs and possibly give us a good freeze but now they changed it back to rainy and cloudy. :evil: Good to hear there's still a lot of snow there, though, guess i still have time to give it a shot a little later in the year

Postby climbit » Mon May 25, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi Adam,
My boys, our dogs and I climbed Mt. Belford on Saturday (05/23/2009). We camped near the old cabin Friday and Saturday night. It rained many hours. We saw two guys ascending one of the Missouri couloirs Saturday at 1:00 p.m., they are in the center of the picture. The other picture is looking up from where the trail splits to Belford or Elkhead Pass. Both pictures were taken on our descent, as the morning visability was limited. We saw EatinHardtack during his descent.
Attachments
Missouri 05-23-09.jpg
Trail split
Missouri 05-23-09.jpg (68.26 KiB) Viewed 387 times
Missouri 5-23-09.jpg
From Belford towards Missouri
Missouri 5-23-09.jpg (95.05 KiB) Viewed 387 times

Postby realhillboarding » Mon May 25, 2009 3:57 pm

wow there really is a lot of snow left up there, thanks for the pictures!

Postby Shawnee Bob » Mon May 25, 2009 5:00 pm

These pics give me hope. I wanting to do Missouri's north face in mid-June. Hopefully a lot of that snow will still be left.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/

Postby BAUMGARA » Mon May 25, 2009 5:49 pm

I was up there today planning on hitting up Missouri. I met purduemike at the base of the normal route, he said that he was post holing pretty bad on top of 4" of fresh snow. The NE face of Missouri looked like it got quite a bit of snow, considering its the end of May. We decided to bag Belford instead via the west slopes. If it was me I'd wait until early June.
Northern Couloirs of Missouri as of 05/25/09
A wide view of Missouri

Postby skier25 » Mon May 25, 2009 5:51 pm

killingcokes wrote:I went up Massive for a ski yesterday. The snow was absolutely mank on the SW Face. I kicked off a pretty large wet slide while skiing. The new snow is about 4 inches and the moisture content is about 50%. This new snow doesn't seem to be bonding well to the old dirty snow.

There is no freeze in the forecast. I'm not skiing again until it freezes.

I had planned to do Harvard today, but I really don't like the quality of the snow we have right now

Fairly decent conditions today on Massive. It froze overnight and the snow was solid as a rock until roughly 11:30, thanks to good cloud cover. The new powder snow didn't bond and turned to mush late in the day. I think I saw where you ripped out the wet slide too.
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.