Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

La Plata conditions

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

La Plata conditions

Postby JA_son27 » Fri May 22, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm planning on heading up there tomorrow please any info would be appreciated.
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40

Is La Plata clear of major snow now??

Postby mandm15 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:16 am

Hello, does anyone know if the Northwest route for La Plata is relatively clear (meaning, can one hike it without snowshoes or crampons)? I am planning on hiking it Monday with my dog and am hoping I can leave the "winter foot-gear" at home!!

Would greatly appreciate comments on the trail conditions and the need for snowshoes/crampons/etc from anyone who has summitted the past week or so...

Thanks so much..Mike

Re: La Plata conditions

Postby stonebaez » Sat May 23, 2009 9:08 am

Looks like we have several people waiting on conditions. I know there was a group of people heading up to do it today, hopefully they dont get rained out and come back and let us know how it was.
Climb.

Postby utepasspro » Sat May 23, 2009 9:57 am

I'm a little confused- noaa says that right now "heavy snow" is falling at Monarch Pass, but the radar shows hardly anything in that area...looking forward to any info that can be provided- bump!
"There are three kinds of patriots, two bad, one good. The bad ones are the uncritical lovers and the loveless critics. Good patriots carry on a lover's quarrel with their country, a reflection of God's lover's quarrel with all the world.” - William Sloane Coffin

Postby flashover00 » Sat May 23, 2009 10:46 am

+ 1......we were gonna camp just below treeline tomorrow night and try for the summit on Monday. Reading the noaa page has me looking for a dry mountain somewhere else.

Re: Is La Plata clear of major snow now??

Postby Jim Davies » Sat May 23, 2009 2:15 pm

mandm15 wrote:Hello, does anyone know if the Northwest route for La Plata is relatively clear

There's a section of that route that can be wet and muddy even in mid-summer. I bet it's really sloppy right now...
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby JA_son27 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:14 pm

I just hiked it today, and the snow fields really became prevalent at 11,700ft, but it was easily bypassed until 12,800ft, that's when I started postholing up to my waist and armpits. I stuck to the rocky outcropings and slowly made my way to the summit without snowshoes.
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

Postby Johnson » Sun May 24, 2009 7:38 am

JA_son27 wrote:I just hiked it today, and the snow fields really became prevalent at 11,700ft, but it was easily bypassed until 12,800ft, that's when I started postholing up to my waist and armpits. I stuck to the rocky outcropings and slowly made my way to the summit without snowshoes.

How long were the postholling portions? If you did it again, would you do snow shoes? Heading up there Tuesday so any other information would be appreciated.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby JA_son27 » Sun May 24, 2009 7:54 am

The postholing that I experienced was pure hell, but knowing what I know now I still don't think I would bring snow shoes. If you take the right line which after trying for about 20 minutes I finally found you can make quick work of those sections. Since those rock outcroppings are so numerous I used them to my advantage, but if you want to avoid using those outcroppings (which were a little closer to the edge of the ridge) it may save you a little time to bring the snowshoes.

Postby stonebaez » Sun May 24, 2009 11:14 am

im thinking of camping tonight and doing the NW ridge tomorrow and chancing the rain... anyone else thinking the same?
Climb.