Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Guanella Pass Access Status

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Guanella Pass Access Status

Postby gpeoples » Fri May 22, 2009 3:00 pm

I re-read the previous postings and as jstouder mentioned, Georgetown side should be opened as of early May. Hope I didn't cause anyone concern. I don't think a few inches of snow this weekend is going to cause any problems and hopefully Grant side does open so you can just avoid the construction issue entirely. Also, I have driven both sides many times and the RDs are usually in excellant shape for any passenger car.

Take care and enjoy your Bierstadt Climb - this will be my 5th Summit up there if we decide to go Sunday. Great 14er to start the year with. :D
The mountains will always be there, the trick is to make sure you are too. - Hervey Voge

Re: Guanella Pass Access Status

Postby gpeoples » Sun May 24, 2009 4:30 pm

Hiked Bierstadt today without snowshoes. Conditions were, lets say, not ideal. But, that is what we expected from the weather. Total whiteout for the entire hike to summit and back. Although right when we got back to the parking lot, the Sawtooth showed himself.

Went up the Grant side and it was smooth sailing right into the trailhead parking.
Scott Gomer creek wasn't flowing that high, so you can sail accross the rocks, might get one toe wet and you are over.
May2009-Scott-Gomer-creek.jpg
May2009-Scott-Gomer-creek.jpg (31.88 KiB) Viewed 376 times

Gaitors were a must and the trail is slush, mud, and a river runs through it in some parts.
The mountains will always be there, the trick is to make sure you are too. - Hervey Voge

Previous