Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sherman -- May 23 or 24

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Sherman -- May 23 or 24

Postby Randonnee » Mon May 18, 2009 6:07 am

Has anyone been on Sherman lately? Care to share and information?

Also if anyone else is interested in climbing it with a very slow old timer (upper 50's), I would enjoy sharing the trail.

Thanks,

Harry
"When the government fears the people, you have liberty. When the people fear the government, you have tyranny."

(Thomas Jefferson)

Re: Sherman -- May 23 or 24

Postby Randonnee » Mon May 18, 2009 11:40 am

Thanks Scanner, I missed seeing that. :oops:
"When the government fears the people, you have liberty. When the people fear the government, you have tyranny."

(Thomas Jefferson)

Postby ash-ish » Mon May 18, 2009 12:36 pm

I may be interested in joining you. I am flying in from Houston and I need a few days to acclimatize. As such, I plan to climb on the 24th. I am a newbie climber and "slow" as well, so I think our pace may match. My original plan was to climb dead dog couloir to Grays/Torreys. But looks like lack of a climbing partner may prevent me from doing so. By when should I let you know of my desicion?

Postby Randonnee » Mon May 18, 2009 1:50 pm

ash-ish wrote:I may be interested in joining you. I am flying in from Houston and I need a few days to acclimatize. As such, I plan to climb on the 24th. I am a newbie climber and "slow" as well, so I think our pace may match. My original plan was to climb dead dog couloir to Grays/Torreys. But looks like lack of a climbing partner may prevent me from doing so. By when should I let you know of my desicion?
I may be interested in joining you. I am flying in from Houston and I need a few days to acclimatize. As such, I plan to climb on the 24th. I am a newbie climber and "slow" as well, so I think our pace may match. My original plan was to climb dead dog couloir to Grays/Torreys. But looks like lack of a climbing partner may prevent me from doing so. By when should I let you know of my desicion?

The 24th is great! It would be great if could you let me know by Thursday afternoon. The weather forecast is calling for T-storms, I hope that is an afternoon thing, so plan on a very early start.

(Thomas Jefferson)

Postby ash-ish » Mon May 18, 2009 6:36 pm

Randonnee wrote:The 24th is great! It would be great if could you let me know by Thursday afternoon. The weather forecast is calling for T-storms, I hope that is an afternoon thing, so plan on a very early start.

I can let you know by thursday. what route are you planning to climb?

Postby USAFAGrad02 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:43 pm

I hiked Sherman yesterday and the conditions were just fine. The trail going up is mostly clear until about 13,000 ft. Follow it until this point and then make a zig zag up the least steep side until you get to the ridge. From there, it's real easy. There is some snow up there but it is not icy and is quite hard in most places so you won't be post holing. I didn't need any special equipment, but a pair of gators to keep the snow out of my boots every once in a while when my foot would sink.

Postby randalmartin » Mon May 18, 2009 7:13 pm

I will be going up Sherman this Saturday May 23rd. Since it isn't Tstorm season I am not going to get up at 4am. Probably start around 8am.

Postby Randonnee » Wed May 20, 2009 5:47 am

ash-ish wrote:
Randonnee wrote:The 24th is great! It would be great if could you let me know by Thursday afternoon. The weather forecast is calling for T-storms, I hope that is an afternoon thing, so plan on a very early start.

I can let you know by thursday. what route are you planning to climb?

I am planning on doing the trade route (Four Mile Creek.) From the upper, 4wd, parking area if the snow has melted that far up.

(Thomas Jefferson)

Postby mountainmicah83 » Wed May 20, 2009 7:12 am

I will be camping over below there over the weekend and plan to do Democrat on Sunday the 24th. Let me know what time you guys want to step off. Maybe I will change my mind. As of now I'm taking off for Democrat from as close to kite lake as possible by 6AM.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Postby Randonnee » Thu May 21, 2009 6:04 am

It looks like Sunday is going to be the day!

The plan is to go in to the trailhead late Saturday afternoon or early evening to do some scouting. I want to see if the road is passable to the upper (4wd) parking area, then find a place to camp. Would like to get an early start for the approach and climb on Sunday (just in case the weather forecast is right.)

(Thomas Jefferson)

Postby mountainmicah83 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:54 am

As a tip. Don't camp in the valley below right by the river. There are tons of dirt bikes and trailers. Follow one of the dirt roads up out of the valley a bit and there are some beautiful spots. Just don't steal mine! Here is a link of where you should look for camping nearby. Good luck if I don't see you.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 4&t=h&z=16
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Next