Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trailhead Status Info Needed

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Trailhead Status Info Needed

Postby Hacksaw » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:24 pm

From the Clear Creek Current Newspaper 2008-07-19 =D>

Road to popular fourteeners continues to go downhill
By Adriennne Anderson

Clyde Jones owns two cabins near the base of Grays and Torreys Peaks. For years he has shuddered at the thought of an emergency or a fire in the area where thousands hike to the summits of the popular fourteeners each weekend day.

Because of the poor road conditions, cars often block Stevens Gulch Road 3 miles below the main trailhead. In one spot, a huge trench stops many vehicles near the road entrance.

Stevens Gulch is a Forest Service road, but there seems to be some doubt as to what agency should be maintaining it.

“It gets a little worse every year,” Jones said. “There are times when the road is completely blocked. If there were an emergency or fire, they would not be able to get equipment up the road.”

Sheriff Don Krueger reiterated that concern last week to the county commissioners.

“When it rains, it gets washed out,” Krueger said. “In an emergency, there are a lot of vehicles we need to get past there. Can Road and Bridge do any work on that road?”

The commissioners said they would talk to Road and Bridge about installing two culverts to help with washouts and to fill in the bad spots.

But director Tim Allen said the Forest Service is responsible for the road.

“This has been a problem for a couple of years now,” Allen said. He said the county tries to clear the road at the beginning of the season, but it doesn’t have the needed materials. He also said the culverts should be the Forest Service’s responsibility.

“We’ve gone out there to fix washouts,” Allen said. “But there is not much to work with up there and not much we can do. The Forest Service needs to catch up with it and do something with the drainage and surface materials.”

The Idaho Springs Forest Service office did not return calls for comment, but Jones said he was told the agency would work with the county to make repairs.
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun May 03, 2009 11:57 am

If you've been to one of the 14er trailheads in the past few days and have some new information, please help. From the link below, you can log on and update the status of a trailhead.

Trailhead Status Page

THANKS!
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby martynda » Sun May 03, 2009 12:08 pm

Can I make a suggestion to place the TH status link in a more visible place? Maybe a link on the Routes page for each of the 14ers?

I think a lot of people forget about the TH status page, which I think is one of the most useful and important parts of the site but will admit to forgetting about it.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun May 03, 2009 1:41 pm

Thanks, I'll think of more places to put the link. Currently, it can be seen from the following places.

- Home page: "Trailhead" Pull-down menu
- Home page: "Update Trailhead Status" link in the "Routes" pull-down menu
- In red on the main Forum page
- On each 14ers.com route description (in the stats box at the top)
- On the main 14ers (list) page - link on the right
- On the "14ers Toolbox" popup, link on top right of all forum pages

Then, the pull-down menus are available throughout the site by clicking on the 14ers.com logo on the top left.

I'll probably add a reminder to the ADD TRIP REPORT page so people think to update the trailhead page if they have info.

Postby BAUMGARA » Sun May 03, 2009 7:08 pm

Just updated Crags.
Last edited by BAUMGARA on Sun May 03, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Aubrey » Sun May 03, 2009 8:59 pm

Yes, please, everyone, update trailheads! This is the time of year -- and into early summer -- where it's most helpful! How close to the "summer" trailhead can you get (before snow/ice blocks your path)? How deep are the creeks running? Any changes in the 4x4 roads?

Just updated Mt. Princeton here ...

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon May 11, 2009 9:02 am

bump

Postby jstouder » Mon May 11, 2009 9:59 am

Guanella Pass has been updated.
Isaiah 2:2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

Postby AlexMack » Mon May 11, 2009 12:59 pm

Nothing for N Elbert trailhead, I was wondering about that one. People have said they are doing elbert and I know some is the SE route, wondering about the other route and what gear would be best, skins or what.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin

Postby mattpayne11 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:36 pm

Hacksaw wrote:From the Clear Creek Current Newspaper 2008-07-19 =D>

By Adriennne Anderson

Clyde Jones owns two cabins near the base of Grays and Torreys Peaks. For years he has shuddered at the thought of an emergency or a fire in the area where thousands hike to the summits of the popular fourteeners each weekend day.

Because of the poor road conditions, cars often block Stevens Gulch Road 3 miles below the main trailhead. In one spot, a huge trench stops many vehicles near the road entrance.

Stevens Gulch is a Forest Service road, but there seems to be some doubt as to what agency should be maintaining it.

“It gets a little worse every year,” Jones said. “There are times when the road is completely blocked. If there were an emergency or fire, they would not be able to get equipment up the road.”

Sheriff Don Krueger reiterated that concern last week to the county commissioners.

“When it rains, it gets washed out,” Krueger said. “In an emergency, there are a lot of vehicles we need to get past there. Can Road and Bridge do any work on that road?”

The commissioners said they would talk to Road and Bridge about installing two culverts to help with washouts and to fill in the bad spots.

“This has been a problem for a couple of years now,” Allen said. He said the county tries to clear the road at the beginning of the season, but it doesn’t have the needed materials. He also said the culverts should be the Forest Service’s responsibility.

“We’ve gone out there to fix washouts,” Allen said. “But there is not much to work with up there and not much we can do. The Forest Service needs to catch up with it and do something with the drainage and surface materials.”

The Idaho Springs Forest Service office did not return calls for comment, but Jones said he was told the agency would work with the county to make repairs.

I think you're going to see more and more reports like this and our access to areas will become limited and may even evolve into a fee area. The situation at the more popular mountains is growing worse each year. Everyone using these areas should feel some responsibility to make sure we are being as mature and responsible about our use of the land as possible unless we want our access limited or even cut-off entirely (see Tabeguache Peak).

Postby glacierPaul » Thu May 14, 2009 6:16 am

mattpayne11 wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:From the Clear Creek Current Newspaper 2008-07-19 =D>

By Adriennne Anderson

I think you're going to see more and more reports like this and our access to areas will become limited and may even evolve into a fee area. The situation at the more popular mountains is growing worse each year. Everyone using these areas should feel some responsibility to make sure we are being as mature and responsible about our use of the land as possible unless we want our access limited or even cut-off entirely (see Tabeguache Peak).

++++1
This pretty much sums up almost all access points in Clear Creek County, and sheds light on why I created a pay parking lot up here at St. Mary's Glacier.
While most people respect the law, I think some of the issue is people just don't know where they are, is it private or public?, and what the law is for that area.
So illegal parking and tresspassing happen, inadvertantly, but some are doing it on purpose. That is where maturity and responsibility should take over, but doesn't in alot of cases. Many USFS points in the county have public access to them, but fail to provide any parking or facilities for those accesses because of private property, county road, or the classic USFS answer "We have no money". What happens is stated above in that article. Nothing should turn into a detriment, but sometimes places do. I want to point out that my parking fee is for MY property use and not for the USFS use, I have had hundreds of complaints from people who are just uninformed. The mountains are still "free" it is just parking or facilities that we need to pay for if it is private property.
The thing that really gets me is I am providing facilities that this area desperately needed, and those people do not see that I guess. With 50,000-100,000 visitors coming up here to St. Mary's alone, something needed to happen and mitigate that impact. Clear Creek County is a watershed and needs to be protected to some extent, and I feel I have taken the bull by the horns and done something to benefit all, instead of closing off my property and making things worse for all. I will find a couple of links to help back up what I am talking about and post them later.
Paul

PreviousNext