St. Mary's Glacier / James Peak Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

St. Mary's Glacier / James Peak Conditions

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Anyone been up there recently? Trying to figure out if it's worth trying to do some boarding up there on Sunday.
Haliku
14ers: 14 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Re: St. Mary's Glacier / James Peak Conditions

Post by Haliku »

Plenty of fresh snow two weeks ago. I doubt its gone away. How much pow at the moment can't say.
"You step onto the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to."
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

Plowed out the lot this morning, 3-4" last night. 10-20% chance of more thru the weekend.
Paul
sstrauss
14ers: 23 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sstrauss »

hey Paul,
Any news on who or what happened to the lot last week? Myself and a few others were there and gone by about 2. Everything was intact. Sorry to hear about the damages.
Sean
"He discovered that boredom and fear and anger are the reasons that one's life is so short, and with these gone from his thought, he lived a long fine life indeed." R. Bach
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

Hello all, sstraus,
Crazy enough, I have narrowed down the incident to happening almost within one hour, you may have been with a group of which one person pm'ed me with some particular info on a suspicious driver/vehicle that had come and gone 3 times before they left the lot. I had checked the lot at 11:30 and came back around 3:00. The sheriff up here is inquiring into all of the info some customers put forward as well as my own detective work. I am pretty sure I have photos of said vehicle, I need to send it to one of my contacts to verify. Unless someone actually saw the person doing the vandalism, all is circumstantial, but extremely good circumstantial evidence, the sheriff and the entire neighborhood is on the lookout for this vehicle and driver. The total damages were just about $400 in signs, I was able to repost all but one, temporarily, I do have new ones being made. I know karma will take care of this individual, as when I was a 16 year old skateboarder, I was pretty liberal in putting "Skateboarding is not a crime" stickers on street signs, so I can relate this action against me. Unfortunately, the person who did this to my property is facing felony charges, is that worth being upset over $5?
Thanks to you folks who are concerned, and who choose to pay and park, you are the reason I decided to keep the lot open and create a better place up here to visit.
Paul
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Thanks, Paul. Sorry this happened. A buddy and I will be up there tomorrow and will gladly pay to park.

-Tom
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

I will make sure I make some extra trips up there this year to help you recover your $400 :D

For anyone else out there who has not been up there, Paul keeps a plowed and neat lot with trash and a Port-o-potty. Without him there would be no place for visitors to park without the risk of being towed. His lot is critical for access. I have never walked away without feeling I got my moneys worth. For a car of 4 that's $1.25 a person!

Paul and his minions are always very friendly and Paul posts here from time to time with lost items and snow/trail conditions.
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

rickinco123 wrote:I will make sure I make some extra trips up there this year to help you recover your $400 :D

For anyone else out there who has not been up there, Paul keeps a plowed and neat lot with trash and a Port-o-potty. Without him there would be no place for visitors to park without the risk of being towed. His lot is critical for access. I have never walked away without feeling I got my moneys worth. For a car of 4 that's $1.25 a person!

Paul and his minions are always very friendly and Paul posts here from time to time with lost items and snow/trail conditions.
+1, even by yourself its completely worth it.

Was up there today and went up Kingston Peak, north of the glacier. I never felt snowshoes would've been needed and although I wore stabilicers, I prolly could've made it in just hiking boots.

BTW, the views from Kingston Peak are almost as good as those from James Peak.