Storm peak route question

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zeroload
14ers: 15 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Storm peak route question

Post by zeroload »

I am looking at doing storm peak and all the route info I have found is from the keyhole to the summit and then skirt down the east slope home. Obviously I know to just head up the east slopes to the summit from the boulder field. Just wondering if anyone has done this climb and has some advise on picking a good line to the summit. Trying to keep it at a low class climb as I am just getting used to these winter climbs.

Any advise?

Thanks
Z
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Storm peak route question

Post by Kiefer »

I climbed Storm Peak via the east Slopes in late November a couple years ago. I switchbacked a lot linking the rocks b/c the snow was so crappy.
It wasn't hard just consistantly moderately angled. If the snow is good, it would be a delightful climb. If it's dry, which it probably is going to be right now, expect A LOT of postholing. :x Having a pair of poles with you would be invaluable.
Couple of pics from my trip:
View of the East Slope
View of Longs from just below the summit.
StevieTwoShoes
14ers: 55  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (2)

Post by StevieTwoShoes »

I hiked Storm via the east slope in late May last year and wish I had taken my crampons and ax. There were a couple of snowfields toward the top that would have made for a nice, short snow climb to the summit. Instead, I worked around the snow and came upon the summit from the southeast. I would suggest examining it once you get to the boulderfield, or just below; the most obvious route will more than likely reveal itself. Enjoy, it's a fun peak with great views of Longs and the rest of the Park.
"I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education." -Wilson Mizner
zeroload
14ers: 15 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zeroload »

Thanks guys! Thats what I was thinking. I have been up to the boulder field a few times this year and it had less snow than I expected. I have not needed my snoeshoes yet :D

Z