Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountaineering controversy

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby Shawnee Bob » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:38 pm

[quote="susanjoypaul"] At my age, with my genetically-challenged physicality (I actually flunked gym in 9th grade) – mountaineering is hard, and when I do it, it ain’t graceful, or pretty, or worthy of an audience.

quote]
Now you're sand-baggin.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/

Postby rangerdrew » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:34 am

I read the rant posted by Cheeseburglar several months ago. I have read a few things about House and he sounds like a badass. He is an advocate of alpine style ascents that are sick. He also trains with or has trained with Mark Twight at Gym Jones. Check out the times below. Epic.

Taken from the Patagonia website...

Steve’s most (in?)-famous ascent occurred in September 2005. He and Vince Anderson pioneered a direct new route on the Rupal Face of 8126-meter (26,660-foot) Nanga Parbat. The 4100-meter (13,500-foot) face had never before been climbed in alpine style. During Steve’s 2004 season in the Karakoram he raised the standards of alpine climbing with his solo ascent of K7 via a new route in 41:45 hours (with 26 hours of nonstop climbing to summit) using no fixed ropes, no bolts, and only a seven-pound pack. It was the mountain’s second ascent.
I don't commute by bicycle everyday out of goodwill for the environment. Although, it is a positive externality. ~rangerdrew

Postby larkinrx2 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:53 am

rangerdrew wrote:Steve’s most (in?)-famous ascent occurred in September 2005. He and Vince Anderson pioneered a direct new route on the Rupal Face of 8126-meter (26,660-foot) Nanga Parbat. The 4100-meter (13,500-foot) face had never before been climbed in alpine style. During Steve’s 2004 season in the Karakoram he raised the standards of alpine climbing with his solo ascent of K7 via a new route in 41:45 hours (with 26 hours of nonstop climbing to summit) using no fixed ropes, no bolts, and only a seven-pound pack. It was the mountain’s second ascent.

ya, i bet TGC did it all before breakfast that morning and steve was the 3rd (2cd recorded since TGC signs no summit tube since its litter)
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby Mel McKinney » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:14 am

susanjoypaul wrote: (I actually flunked gym in 9th grade) – mountaineering is hard, and when I do it, it ain’t graceful, or pretty, or worthy of an audience.

Who was your gym teacher? Mr. Woodcock?

I wasn't athletic as a kid either. Funny how the outdoorsy, mountaineering thing can turn one's life around. Who knew we'd be standing on peaks in the Colorado wilderness one day (Although it's not pretty when I climb either)? :D
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby fleetmack » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:28 am

Greg: "What are you doing, Evan? We're down 2 points!"
Evan: "Calm down, Greg, it's Soccer. Ok. It's soccer."

--Superbad
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby Randonnee » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:46 pm

cheeseburglar wrote:
grizz wrote:
cheeseburglar wrote:Grizz, you need a link to this in your post:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1881604

Who is Steve House?

I don't know, I've never met him. Maybe he is a legend like TGC.
He does have a wikipedia page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_House
And I think his latest super bad north face climb was in the last American Alpine Journal, they have it at REI flagship in Denver next to some nice couches. Unless it sold out.

I spent an afternoon with him and his girlfriend during the Ouray Ice Festival. He is friendly and enjoy sharing what he knows with others. Excellent climber on ice! He is not one to talk about himself likes to stick to the activity that is happening now.
"When the government fears the people, you have liberty. When the people fear the government, you have tyranny."

(Thomas Jefferson)

Previous