Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountaineering controversy

Items that do not fit the categories above.
User avatar
Posts: 1200
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: castle rock

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby larkinrx2 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:58 pm

Shawnee Bob wrote:(begin soapbox) As far as pro athletes who quit and get fat because they don't play anymore: that's probably true in some cases. But there are some former athletes who, for the love of the game (and good money) have had many surgeries just to keep playing. Mark Schlereth comes to mind. He doesn't play football anymore because he CAN'T. His body has had enough (26 surgeries?). Same is true for a lot of other former athletes. We're lucky in that the way we practice our pastimes generally leaves us in better physical condition than many former pro athletes. Not saying some of us here don't risk life and limb (I saw some pretty interesting photos of a traverse on the Bells on one climber's page). But I'm pretty sure the bulk of us here don't put our bodies on the line as much as some of these football and hockey players. Heck, even Larry Bird got the the point where he could barely walk because of back problems that developed because of his hard-nosed brand of basketball. So I'm not about to denigrate the sacrifices they make. (end soapbox)


ill bet for the right price you would carry that soap box into those pics of the bells and do handstands.......just like those pros who keep putting their bodies on the line, they know as long as they are in the game they have a blank check and the better they sacrifice themselves while in the game the better possibilities for a bigger blank check until it crashes in the end and they are sent packing with spent bodies, hopefully having saved a few bucks to make it the rest of their lives JOB!
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

User avatar
Posts: 1403
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:15 am
Location: Edwards, CO

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby Mel McKinney » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:03 pm

Quote from Jim Donini I ran across on the American Alpine Club site. I'm sure he didn't mean it (at least later...).

Edited for content... :wink:

“This is bullsh*t,” blurts Jim, perhaps touched by a little anemomania—wind madness. “This sport sucks. In my next life I’m playing baseball. Those sons-of-b****s get paid millions of dollars for playing a kid’s game. I bet my a$$ every time I get on one of these granite tombstones and I don’t get paid a g**d*mned dime. F**k this.”

—Jim Donini, from Greg Crouch’s Enduring Patagonia, p. 127
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

User avatar
Posts: 2315
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby rijaca » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:19 pm

grizz wrote:
cheeseburglar wrote:Grizz, you need a link to this in your post:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1881604


Who is Steve House?


I believe the correct wording for that question is "Who is Steve F**king House?"

Mel McKinney wrote:Quote from Jim Donini I ran across on the American Alpine Club site. I'm sure he didn't mean it (at least later...).

Edited for content... :wink:

“This is bullsh*t,” blurts Jim, perhaps touched by a little anemomania—wind madness. “This sport sucks. In my next life I’m playing baseball. Those sons-of-b****s get paid millions of dollars for playing a kid’s game. I bet my a$$ every time I get on one of these granite tombstones and I don’t get paid a g**d*mned dime. F**k this.”

—Jim Donini, from Greg Crouch’s Enduring Patagonia, p. 127


Great book!
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Posts: 830
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:19 am
Location: CO

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby grizz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:44 pm

i dont know if we were comparing are selfs to the great ones of our sport, but that it is a sport (and that to get paid for it becomes a job)


lark,

Below are two examples that provoked me to post what I did. Maybe I misread the intentions of the words, if so my fault.

Pay special attention to “Here’s the difference: nobody pays us to climb”. I think the difference is we don’t get paid because we are and average Joe climbers in a big ocean with a lot of fish. So, saying “nobody pays us to climb” would lead me to believe we are comparing ourselves to pro athletes or in your words "the great ones of our sport". I thought it would be fair to the “great ones” not to compare our 14er accomplishments to their truly magnificent accomplishments.

Here’s the difference: nobody pays us to climb – in fact, many of us invest a large part of our own incomes to it. And we’ll continue to do it, till we’re broke, and broken down, and so wrinkled and smelly that no one else wants to climb with us.


Also, is it not contradictive to criticize a baseball player’s quote about climbers with a remark like the one below?

I’m with RichAllen – it makes me laugh when baseball players say climbers aren’t athletes. They spend most of their 3-hour-long games sitting on a bench. Maybe do a couple 90-foot dashes, assuming they can swing the bat well. And it often makes me wonder why some pro baseball players have big ol’ beer bellies ... doesn’t seem very athletic to me.
Last edited by grizz on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colorado Native

Posts: 830
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:19 am
Location: CO

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby grizz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:03 pm

The major majority of the world could care less about a climber’s accomplishments. Risking your life doesn’t pay well…just ask your garbage man.

Maybe it would be best if we kept this “sport” thing on the down low
Last edited by grizz on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colorado Native

User avatar
Posts: 2272
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:35 pm

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby Matt » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:09 pm

grizz wrote:Maybe it would be best if we kept this “sport” thing on the down low


What exactly do you mean, eh?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=down%20low
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Posts: 830
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:19 am
Location: CO

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby grizz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:59 pm

uh - down low, let's see #...never mind.
Colorado Native

User avatar
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Southern Plains

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby Shawnee Bob » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:29 pm

larkinrx2 wrote:
Shawnee Bob wrote:(begin soapbox) As far as pro athletes who quit and get fat because they don't play anymore: that's probably true in some cases. But there are some former athletes who, for the love of the game (and good money) have had many surgeries just to keep playing. Mark Schlereth comes to mind. He doesn't play football anymore because he CAN'T. His body has had enough (26 surgeries?). Same is true for a lot of other former athletes. We're lucky in that the way we practice our pastimes generally leaves us in better physical condition than many former pro athletes. Not saying some of us here don't risk life and limb (I saw some pretty interesting photos of a traverse on the Bells on one climber's page). But I'm pretty sure the bulk of us here don't put our bodies on the line as much as some of these football and hockey players. Heck, even Larry Bird got the the point where he could barely walk because of back problems that developed because of his hard-nosed brand of basketball. So I'm not about to denigrate the sacrifices they make. (end soapbox)


ill bet for the right price you would carry that soap box into those pics of the bells and do handstands.......just like those pros who keep putting their bodies on the line, they know as long as they are in the game they have a blank check and the better they sacrifice themselves while in the game the better possibilities for a bigger blank check until it crashes in the end and they are sent packing with spent bodies, hopefully having saved a few bucks to make it the rest of their lives JOB!


In some cases, you're right. In Larry Bird's case, you're wrong. I'm just saying -- judging people's motivations and confining them to some preset definition of "sport" is nonsense. And no, I don't see myself doing handstands on the Bells traverse. Ever.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:13 pm

I don’t think anyone’s comparing themselves to pro athletes here – just differentiating. We’re different, what we do is different, our motivations are different, the enjoyment we get out of it is different, and no one is kidding themselves into believing that someone climbing a peak is going to show up on pay-per-view anytime soon. That doesn’t make it any less of a demanding activity. At my age, with my genetically-challenged physicality (I actually flunked gym in 9th grade) – mountaineering is hard, and when I do it, it ain’t graceful, or pretty, or worthy of an audience.

I’ll tell you what is pretty though – those hot young guys on del sur’s gay thug dating site link – wowza… now that’s a sport! Ooh - I feel another stop song coming on…

i said a hip hop the hippie the hippie
to the hip hip hop, a you dont
stop!

the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie
to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat


Crap - I gotta pack... weekend!

User avatar
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:07 pm
Location: The High Country

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:18 pm

stop!


making fun of my post.

grizz wrote:
cheeseburglar wrote:Grizz, you need a link to this in your post:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1881604


Who is Steve House?


I am pretty sure he is a fictional genius doctor on FOX.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

User avatar
Posts: 1200
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: castle rock

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby larkinrx2 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:36 pm

susanjoypaul wrote: mountaineering is hard, and when I do it, it ain’t graceful, or pretty, or worthy of an audience.


im sure those that saw me working my way up quandary last month will agree that statement also fits me!!
i had another stop song but we were asked to stop
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

User avatar
Posts: 2701
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Glenwood Springs, CO

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:40 pm

grizz wrote:
cheeseburglar wrote:Grizz, you need a link to this in your post:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1881604


Who is Steve House?

I don't know, I've never met him. Maybe he is a legend like TGC.
He does have a wikipedia page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_House
And I think his latest super bad north face climb was in the last American Alpine Journal, they have it at REI flagship in Denver next to some nice couches. Unless it sold out.

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: krazykat, rmd and 12 guests