Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

STOP! Avy time!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

STOP! Avy time!

Postby Matt » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:55 am

The good news? He's alive.
The bad news? He won a not-free, probably extended trip to Grand Junction.
http://www.telluridenews.com/articles/2009/01/30/news/doc49828003efec1783791211.txt
Now that BC access is so easy here, lots of people are going out when they shouldn't. These guys were far from the only ones out there yesterday.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Re: STOP! Avy time!

Postby skiwall » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:00 pm

Wow... one lucky dude!
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby Mel McKinney » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:10 pm

He's lucky experienced people were back there. I'd like to know if he was by himself (which the article leads me to believe) and fortunately someone was nearby to rescue him.
Glad he's okay though.

Now I have that effing song stuck in my head. Thanks Del Sur! :wink:
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby CO Native » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:11 pm

That's quite an avalanche to survive. Good thing he had a helmet on, and good thing he had help so quickly.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby iceman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 pm

Just an observation about the helo and approaching helos in the back country. Look how close the blades are to the ground. :shock: Be every careful around these, especially in hilly/mountainous terrain.

Postby centrifuge » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:40 pm

Its great that he made it out in one peice, hope he has a quick recovery

Media Dude wrote:Has anyone read the tread that follows the article? It is quite entertaining....

:shock: and what a thread that is... some people just confuse me
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby Mel McKinney » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Media Dude wrote:Has anyone read the tread that follows the article? It is quite entertaining....

Glad to see a good outcome to the story. The big lines everywhere are dangerous, but that is also why people ski them. Good luck to all the skiers out there, and here's to hoping we won't see too many articles like this one again.

Ahh...armchair quarterbacks. A Superbowl for armchair quarterbacks would be most entertaining, but also a pain in the....
:-k Sounds an awful like some of the threads that follow articles on hikers and climbers who end up in distress, whether experienced or not.
I'm not sure what is more moronic in that link...skiergirl or some of the replies to skiergirl. Not positive or constructive, for sure.

Again, glad this guy Eric survived and hopefully will make a full and speedy recovery.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby jimlup » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:05 am

A good story for reminding us why we wear our Avalanche beacons! He apparently had it on and was found faster as a result. Cool - most glad it turned out as a survival story!
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...

Postby Bean » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:32 am

jimlup wrote:A good story for reminding us why we wear our Avalanche beacons! He apparently had it on and was found faster as a result. Cool - most glad it turned out as a survival story!

I believe the guy who dug him out saw a glove sticking out of the snow and found him that way. Still amazing he's alive, 30' deep deposition zone :shock: If you're at the bottom of that, nothing will save you
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby jimlup » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:52 am

Bean wrote:
jimlup wrote:A good story for reminding us why we wear our Avalanche beacons! He apparently had it on and was found faster as a result. Cool - most glad it turned out as a survival story!

I believe the guy who dug him out saw a glove sticking out of the snow and found him that way. Still amazing he's alive, 30' deep deposition zone :shock: If you're at the bottom of that, nothing will save you

Right ...
They were wearing avalanche beacons, portable transponders that can locate other beacons buried under the snow. And just as Liberman’s beacon began to beep, he spotted a hand sticking out of the snow. Liberman dug out the snow above Zuaro’s head, and found that he wasn’t breathing.

My only point being that had the glove not been sticking up - he still would have been found. Definitely a close call either way!
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...

Postby huffy13 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:00 pm

Mel McKinney wrote:Now I have that effing song stuck in my head. Thanks Del Sur! :wink:

Me too! That song is just 2 Legit 2 Quit.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby jeffro » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:49 pm

Thanks for the post, Matt...definitely worth a look for anyone heading into the backcountry or sidecountry.

Jeff
Climb what you love and love what you climb!!

Next