Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Training program?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Training program?

Postby Glen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:32 pm

Cross fit!!! check it out www.crossfit.com
"I remember when I used to be into nostalgia."

Postby Gabriel » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:20 pm

I'm not sure if your goals are high altitude or fourteenering. I used the follwing for succesful climbs of Denali and Aconcagua. I live close to sea level.

Monday: Weights- Chest and triceps
Tuesday: carry a backpack on a hilly five mile loop. I started with 30 lbs and worked up to 70 for Denali. Less for Aconcagua.
Wednesday: Weights- Back, shoulders and some squats
Thursday: Same five mile loop as on Tuesday followed by trail running the same loop. (Have a snack a ehyddrate between)
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Long hike with a 40 pound pack. This was at times 15 miles.
Sunday: rest

For Denali I also pulled a plastic sled with 30 pounds on some days.

As others said, there's no substitute for carrying a heavy pack!

Good luck

G

Postby eagle06 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:38 pm

There are some pretty good training hikes close to Denver. Mt. Morrison will provide a ~1500 foot gain and is easy to get to without taking too much time. Mt Falcon has a reasonable gain but you will have to battle some mountain bikes on occasion. Bergen (sp?)/elk meadow area is nice but you have to get to Evergreen. These provide a little outside time as well as good conditioning - especially with a pack. Plus Mt Morrison always seems to be good for at least 5 deer and good views of evans and pikes when clear. I also enjoy cycling, trail running, indoor climbing, with only occasional weights. All these combined with eating well keep me in well above average shape without having to follow a specific training program.

Postby REL » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:35 pm

The best training program I have ever found can be followed daily at www.crossfit.com

You'lll find free, tough workouts on the site.

The regimen really prepared me mentally and physically for putting out whatever a day in the mountains requires.

Read the FAQ's and look closely at the exercise videos and slide shows if you aren't familar with the exercises involved in the workout of the day.

Be sure to find the warmup exercises that should be done before each workout of the day. (3 rounds of 15 pullups, pushups, situps, back extensions, etc.)

I do the crossfit stuff during my work week then I hike as high and far as I can with whatever gear I need on my days off. So far, so good.

Previous