Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Scottish Avalanche

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Scottish Avalanche

Postby skier25 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:17 pm

I never really considered avalanches in Scottland, but now that I think about the subject, it makes sense. This is a terrible tragedy, and I feel saddened for the losses. Here is one story:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090124/tuk ... a1618.html

Three caught in Scottish avalanche
Saturday, January 24 03:03 pm

A major rescue operation is under way after a number of people were caught in an avalanche in the Highlands.
The RAF Rescue Control Centre says it believes there are three people involved in the incident at Buchaile Etive Mor, which is popular with mountain climbers, in Glencoe, south of Fort William.

Rescue helicopters from RAF Lossiemouth and a Royal Navy helicopter from Prestwick are at the scene while members of Glencoe Mountain Rescue Team have been scrambled and are also are heading to the area.

A spokeswoman for the Glencoe Mountain adventure company - which is not connected to the incident but is based on a mountain near the avalanche scene - said it is believed those missing are walkers or climbers, not skiers.
"I don't think they are skiers. As far as I'm aware they are hill walkers or climbers. They climb all year round here," she said.

The Sport Scotland website rated the risk of avalanches in Glencoe on Saturday as "considerable". The risk was rated as category 3 on a scale of one to five. The website said: "Off-piste and back-country skiing and travel should only be carried out by experienced persons able to evaluate avalanche hazard." It added: "Snowpack stability will remain poor on all steep North-North-West through North to East aspects above 850m where avalanches are likely. "Weak cornices will continue to grow over these locations and be prone to collapse."

The Fort William area is known for its beautiful scenery and is popular with skiers, climbers and walkers.
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.