St. Mary's Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
krz2fer
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (10)

St. Mary's Conditions?

Post by krz2fer »

Anyone been to St. Mary's / James Peak in the last week or so to give an accurate description on conditions? Thinking about taking the board there soon to get a few laps in for a nice little workout. Photos who be nice too. :) Thanks.
Chris
martynda
14ers: 38  3 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (2)

Re: St. Mary's Conditions?

Post by martynda »

I was there yesterday. We made it up the glacier but I didn't go any father. Some people reached the rocks before the mountain itself and then turned around. It was EXTREMELY windy to a point where it could knock you over. The snow was quite hard packed, no real need for snowshoes, although some kind of traction device like yaktrax came in handy. I'll post some pictures as soon as I have some time to go through 300+ from this weekend. We did see a snowboarder coming down the glacier and it didn't look terribly graceful probably because of the hard snow.
krz2fer
Trip Reports (10)

Post by krz2fer »

Thanks for the info; looking forward to the pics!
Chris
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

Hey krz2fer,
The forecast for St. Mary's say's cances for snow Thursday thru Monday, Friday has the most at 50% chance. I am going to set up a parking lot web site so people can post conditions and photos, I have several people who come up almost weekly to ride and ski James Peak and the glacier they would have the best reports. We have had lots of wind up here, fairly typical. No new snow in about a week, lots of wind drifted snow pack.
Have fun and be safe!
Paul
yorksman
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yorksman »

I was up there yesterday morning for sunrise, here's some pictures.
krz2fer
Trip Reports (10)

Post by krz2fer »

Thanks. Think it might still be a little crustified for my liking. And yorksman - thanks for the pics but it appears all are above the glacier itself. Gorgeous nonetheless.
Chris
martynda
14ers: 38  3 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martynda »

Sorry, I completely forgot about the pictures. Here are a few: http://picasaweb.google.com/martynda/Wi ... directlink
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

Hello all,
Saturday we got around 8-12", this morning there is another 6-8" and it is still snowing. Snow was wet and heavy Sat, this morning's snow, all powder. Our forecast for up here calls for snow into Friday.
Paul