Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

hiking in AT boots

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

hiking in AT boots

Postby plark42 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:59 pm

hey you 14er skiers out there-

do you hike in your alpine touring boots or do you carry them on your pack?
"ninety percent of genius is showing up." -Woody Allen

Site Administrator

Re: hiking in AT boots

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:03 pm

Depends on how long I would be hiking without skis/skins on. Usually, if I have to walk over 2 miles on dirt I'll pack the boots and put them on when I get to snow. It really depends on conditions.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby plark42 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:06 pm

what's that old adage? 1 pound on your pack is like 5 on your feet? or something like that??
"ninety percent of genius is showing up." -Woody Allen

Postby thebeave7 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:29 pm

It's the other way around, 1lb on the feet equals 5lbs in the pack(though I think the #s are different).

Anyways, I'm in the same boat as Bill, though I'll usually just hike in the AT boots if it's gonna be an hour or less on dirt. Obviously sometimes you don't know, so I've ended up hiking longer in the boots, but I try not to. Partly because they are stiff and not as comfortable as lighter shoes, also because I don't like to tear up the soles of the expensive boots on the rocks, I'd rather beat up a $60 pair of trail runners.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby ajkagy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:05 am

usually hike in the AT boots if i know i'm going to be spending limited time on dirt/rock. Rocky trails are the worst since the AT boots don't flex as much as regular hiking shoes.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby skiwall » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:56 am

I think it depends on the boots, too. My AT boots are pretty comfy, so I hike in them more often than not (unless it's a really long way), but I have a friend whose boots don't fit as well, and he would rather hike in different boots and carry the ski boots.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby bckcntryskr » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:34 am

Agreed it depends. On longer "dry" approaches, I prefer the weight on my pack. This usually occurs later in Spring, when it's not possible to skin most of the way. I have beat up my AT boots pretty badly on rocky scrambles. The toe piece being one area of concern, slice cuts and chunks missing. Good hiking boots are ~$200. and made for that kind of punishment. Good AT boots are ~$600. and not really made for rocky hiking.
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:37 am

skiwall wrote:I think it depends on the boots, too. My AT boots are pretty comfy, so I hike in them more often than not (unless it's a really long way), but I have a friend whose boots don't fit as well, and he would rather hike in different boots and carry the ski boots.

Agreed. I've worn mine so much that they fit about like a plastic mountaineering boot. Not as comfortable and convenient as trail shoes but not bad either. Heck last Nov we set out to ski Redcloud, Sunshine, and Handies but there wasn't enough snow when we arrived. I elected to climb all three in my AT boots anyway, instead of hiking boots. Warmer and more waterproof. The skis never left the truck.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com