Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

ski mountaineering

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:11 pm

ski mountaineering

Postby jverrant1 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:45 pm

hey guys i was just wondering what type of skis i would use for ski mountaineering, i am new to it and unsure about all the different kinds. Would regular alpine skis work or are there special types? Also, any recommendations for a beginner?

Re: ski mountaineering

Postby Bean » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:07 pm

Skis are skis. Use something you're comfortable with and can handle well. Full twins tend not to be helpful. Something like is good (obviously). Dynafit bindings are the best option but naxos/freerides/dukes will all get the job done as well.

Hopefully you'll have a bit of backcountry skiing experience before you move on to skiing big mountains. You should be a "no-fall" skier on double blacks at ski areas before you even think about ski mountaineering.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

User avatar
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:52 am
Location: 30 N 95.5 W and 39.3 N 106.7 W

Re: ski mountaineering

Postby gsliva » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:21 pm

www.wildsnow.com

You will find good tips here.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

User avatar
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:50 pm
Location: Chama Valley, NM

Re: ski mountaineering

Postby skiwall » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:05 pm

I use my shortest pair of skis, as I feel more confident and in control with them, but I skied them a ton in bounds practicing sketchy conditions before I ever took them out.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

User avatar
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:36 pm
Location: Denver

Re: ski mountaineering

Postby BAUMGARA » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:15 pm

Bean wrote:Hopefully you'll have a bit of backcountry skiing experience before you move on to skiing big mountains. You should be a "no-fall" skier on double blacks at ski areas before you even think about ski mountaineering.

Nice advice. I've not done any "big mountain" back country skiing but the high bowls of Keystone and Breckenridge seem to offer a pretty good taste of the conditions you can expect in the high altitude back country. Go practice there. Also try out the East Wall at A-Basin when it opens.

User avatar
Posts: 1824
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Golden

Re: ski mountaineering

Postby Carl » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:36 pm

Agreed that the type of skis don't matter. Many of the peaks don't even require any AT/Tele gear or skinning. I didn't use (or in some cases even carry) skins on Maroon, Little Bear, Torreys, Greys, ect. when you're heading up in the spring.

User avatar
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:53 am
Location: Glenwood Springs, CO

Re: ski mountaineering

Postby iceman » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:25 pm

You should be a "no-fall" skier on double blacks at ski areas before you even think about ski mountaineering.


I think that depends on the ski mountaineering you plan on attempting. I still fall on blues, and have never been on a double black. Yet I have skied Mt. Sopris, Mt. Columbia and some other pretty serious bc trips. Just know your limitation, get as much avy training as you can get, carry and know how to use a beacon and get out there and have fun. Oh yea, and planning on falling occasionally.

User avatar
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:13 pm

Re: ski mountaineering

Postby Shane-O-Mac » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:13 am

For those of you who have experience in ski mountaineering, what mountains would you recommend as a first. I would like to attemp it on a 14er this year, but so far I have just done a few smaller scale practice runs.

Re: ski mountaineering

Postby Bean » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:04 pm

BAUMGARA wrote:
Bean wrote:Hopefully you'll have a bit of backcountry skiing experience before you move on to skiing big mountains. You should be a "no-fall" skier on double blacks at ski areas before you even think about ski mountaineering.

Nice advice. I've not done any "big mountain" back country skiing but the high bowls of Keystone and Breckenridge seem to offer a pretty good taste of the conditions you can expect in the high altitude back country. Go practice there. Also try out the East Wall at A-Basin when it opens.

In-bounds stuff can show what it will be under certain circumstances, pretty much anything where it's consistent (powder, slush, corn, ice) but due to skier compaction, will not get you a taste of breakable or trap crust, or really anything where it's going to be inconsistent.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Re: ski mountaineering

Postby Bean » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:06 pm

iceman wrote:
You should be a "no-fall" skier on double blacks at ski areas before you even think about ski mountaineering.


I think that depends on the ski mountaineering you plan on attempting. I still fall on blues, and have never been on a double black. Yet I have skied Mt. Sopris, Mt. Columbia and some other pretty serious bc trips. Just know your limitation, get as much avy training as you can get, carry and know how to use a beacon and get out there and have fun. Oh yea, and planning on falling occasionally.

Be aware that falls increase stress on the snowpack and are often responsible for triggering avalanches. I would not go anywhere over 30 degrees with someone who was not sufficiently skilled. You're putting yourself and your partners at risk when you do so.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Re: ski mountaineering

Postby Bean » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:07 pm

Shane-O-Mac wrote:For those of you who have experience in ski mountaineering, what mountains would you recommend as a first. I would like to attemp it on a 14er this year, but so far I have just done a few smaller scale practice runs.

Quandary is a safe bet once it stabilizes in the spring. Cristo is very dangerous in winter, and given the state of the snowpack, I would be wary of the east-facing bowl at this point.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

User avatar
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:13 pm

Re: ski mountaineering

Postby Shane-O-Mac » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:48 am

Do you know anything about Grays? or has anyone done it?

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MountainSlayer and 5 guests